Thread: Seething!

Seething!

I've got to get this off my chest!

I had to go to the doctors today, so was sitting quietly in the waiting room. Two new receptionists were talking about a phone call one of them had made, I'd heard one saying to someone "you need to come in and sign for a letter and pay the fee" she said to her colleague "I had to explain that they were charging for a service that wasn't one that a Doctor would normally do" "what was I supposed to tell her" her colleague jumped straight in "she could always go an get a job" I released that they were talking about ESA letters.

One: how dare she say go and get a job, who does she think she is? Ok the other girl did say "no she doesn't have to she's not well" but I was really offended when the other one responded by sucking her teeth and didn't except she was wrong!

Two: I know some doctors are changing for ESA/PIP letters, but as they are required by the Stasi they're the ones who should pay for them!

Three: why has the charging to claiments for letters not been raised to the DWP select committee, in your benefit claim pack along with anger, distrust, depression, anxiety and fear and the knowledge that a claim can be rejected based on biased opinions, poor judgment, or an outright lie, we shouldn't also face penalty for needing additional support that they damn well want!

The DWP select committee have already got rid of the charges for UC phone calls, time to campaign against these charges too!

These letters are what doctors make a bit of pocket money off ,you could always ask for a print out of the condition you are being treated for this is free,I have done this a few times the dwp have asked for info.

why has the charging to claiments for letters not been raised to the DWP select committee,
    It has been as part of the current slect committee inquiry.

It was part of the whole section about getting supporting evidence from doctors, and who should be responsible for getting it. (and how not to overload doctors with the DWPs job).

The problem is that the DWP say that you don't need to get doctors letters yourself because:
    1. It is not a medical, it's a Capability Assessment.
    2. Their (flawed) assessments are sufficent, and
    3. That they will request any further information that they need from your doctor, and pay the doctor for it. (£15 is the current fee paid).

If you've seen the biased questions they ask your doctor on an ESA113 then you know what a laugh that is.

Chapter 3, paragraph 34, of the report mentions
    Claimants are sometimes asked to pay fees and charges to obtain medical evidence, which may put the cost of obtaining this beyond them.
    https://publications.parliament.uk/p.../829/82906.htm
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-04-18 at 00:53.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post

The problem is that the DWP say that you don't need to get doctors letters yourself because:
    1. It is not a medical, it's a Capability Assessment.
    2. Their (flawed) assessments are sufficent, and
    3. That they will request any further information that they need from your doctor, and pay the doctor for it. (£15 is the current fee paid).

If you've seen the biased questions they ask your doctor on an ESA113 then you know what a laugh that is.
    My GP is no longer allowed to do any letters, even if paid, theyre only now allowed to give a list of conditions because of what Nukecad has said about the DWP not conducting medicals, including for appeal. They will do a more indepth report but you must pay for a private appointment and report from that. They won't allow copies of medical files to be given out anymore for benefit reasons either and if you make a request you must say why.

The surgery is going to the wall with lack of GPs p, other staff and time - they aren't doing it to be difficult.

The forms for 'evidence' for ESA and PIP are a joke. My GP was really annoyed at what she was sent for both. The PIP one literally asked for a list of conditions, if I had appointments for conditions at surgery and outpatients at hospital - neither will allow home appointments (except exceptional circumstances for mental health crisis even then you're expected to get access via GP or a&e) and if patient can get to assessment centre (nothing about where that would be, though we know it's in another county if you don't want it done in the 'local' jobcentreplus and if not why not. The ESA one had space for a line for each, very leading question. That one she responded with a letter telling them to leave me alone and stop bothering her (every three months I'm hounded about ESA).

That was all they were sent. Nothing else and are not allowed to provide anything else (it's a healthboard thing) as the DWP only need a list of conditions and do the rest of the work via their 'medical professionals' (having seen an advert for one of these jobs medical qualifications are preferred, not essential).

There's no cab or similar here and the majority of claimants fail at appeal.

I did put all this in my submission (except the bit from Nukecad!)

Archersmate if I was you I would ask to see the practice manager or write to them and make a complaint about the receptionist.
    My son needed to see a doctor quite urgently and asked for either an appointment or a call back from the doctor.The jumped up receptionist asked what was wrong and my son was told in her opinion he didn't need to see a doctor or have a doctor call him back.My son insisted he got one or the other it was a call back and after explaining the problem the doctor made an appointment for him that day.My son is in 3 stage Kidney failure and a new tablet he had been prescribed wasn't suiting his other meds so he had to come off it .My son wiped the floor with her when he went to the practice.

This is something I think about often.

The receptionists know all of our personal details about our claims as they open the letters. They also don't have to obey an oath of privacy, so they are free to gossip with whoever they choose about our circumstances.

I think about this, being from a smallish town.

Birdwatcher, I live in a small place too and though it happens it's not often because word does get back to the right (or wrong if you're the one gossiping) person.

I've seen people lose jobs through gossiping at my local, I've even heard it justified as 'they're colleagues' not that it worked though!

It's interesting to read about the disclosure of confidential medical details.

I bumped onto someone whom I hadn't seen for a long time. They intimated they knew of my serious mental health problems.

At that time, only my husband and health professionals that I had contact with, knew about my struggles.

I tried to make out, I didn't know what the person was talking about - whether I convinced them or not I will never know. I felt I couldn't confront them about where the information came from as it would be confirming my mental health difficulties.

But someone had obviously told them.

Quote Originally Posted by buble48 View Post
    I tried to make out, I didn't know what the person was talking about - whether I convinced them or not I will never know.
    They probably just though you had MH problems and were forgetful/confused.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I was at the doctors yesterday and noticed an information sheet on the wall, titled "Why does the receptionist need to know what is wrong with me", no doubt to explain to those concerned. It has always seemed sensible to me, acting as a filter system, but I know some resent it.
    Also, Very prominent in this article is the statement that receptionists have to take the same oath of non-disclosure as doctors. I only posted because I see some are spreading the misinformation that this is not so, giving the impression that receptionists can gossip about patients freely, when this is NOT the case.