Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RADAR toilets question

Speaking of disabled toilets...........

Friend dragged me out this morning to get some shopping in, we ended up at Ikea near the Metro Centre (Gateshead). I had to use the loo, the accessible toilet was clean and well stocked with loo roll, handwash etc. BUT I had to have him stand outside the door as I couldn't lock it!.

Most accessible toilets I've used have either had a large handle or an even larger handle/flat bar you push upwards to lock, this one had a small round knob which was about 1" (2.5cm) diameter. As the old arthritis was particularly painful this morning I couldn't grasp the thing firmly enough to turn it
    Last edited by phaedra; 04-04-18 at 13:35.

Having had a good look (I go there quite a bit but don't pay much attention to other facilities), the babies changing (inaccessible) is free and has a toilet in it. It has a radar lock. So people who can manage steps can still use a toilet for free. The ladies and gents are behind a barrier.

Yes it'll cost me a lot more as I need to go a lot due to bladder and bowel problems and faffing around with a lock and key will mean more accidents for me and none of them have facilities for me to clean myself (literally they're a toilet with rails and a tiny sink). I can't use baby changing which is free as I can't climb steps.

I have arthritis in my hands too and that's why I'm concerned about it. In cold weather I'll struggle to manage a 20p coin never mind the door, it's difficult enough when it's not cold!

"Due to loss of revenue and complaints about discrimination we have no choice but to charge for use of these facilities. It is discrimination for disabled people to have access to facilities everyone else must pay for

So are they saying that other public toilets in the area have to be paid for? That is how I am reading it
    Sea Queen

Not all public toilets only those with accessible toilets (which are actually independent buildings). There are toilets available (not independent buildings) for free elsewhere but they aren't accessible. That's the point really. I don't know if they intend to charge for all but baby changing for example remains free in this specific block (with a toilet so able bodied can just use that) there's no barrier likewise the other block where they won't charge.

That is reading very much like discrimination towards people who need accessible toilets to me!
    Sea Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Bekki2017 View Post
    My council have decided their going to charge for access to all RADAR toilets in public places (there's one where I live). They've installed timed barriers which block the lock unless you pay 20p to then access it.

It took months to get it removed in the first place from being inside the block when they decided to charge for it with a massive barrier, which was put there to force people to pay, which then made it inaccessible so they were forced to build another.

I've complained and got the following response:

"Due to loss of revenue and complaints about discrimination we have no choice but to charge for use of these facilities. It is discrimination for disabled people to have access to facilities everyone else must pay for. The barrier will move by itself from the lock in a timely manner so there is no block to access and no reason why the toilets wont remain part of the RADAR scheme"

So basically they want the cash, but I wondered if they could remain part of the scheme if people must pay for access as well as the key. Not to mention that the lock itself is to be blocked by an automatic barrier which will lock again if you can't get your key in time and get in. There's been a lot of bad press about lack of radar toilet availability hence the mention about them remaining part of the scheme, there are very very few available.

My county councillor is the idiot behind this so no use asking them for help.

I thought RADAR toilets couldn't be charged for and needed to be kept accessible and that was the point of the key.

Obviously I intend to reply, anyone got any ideas? I'm getting nowhere!
    What a complete moron.

He clearly does not know the meaning of discrimination. It is not discrimination to treat the disabled in the way they are entitled to be treated. He could have used positive discrimination, but that's not what he said.

Due to my EDS and Endo causing a lot of bladder problems, I could go, and then leave the area, but then need to go back in again the next second, which happens a lot. Not to mention bowel troubles. It's discrimination that disabled people would most likely have to pay a lot more then the able bodied.