Thread: Direct payments , I need help

Direct payments , I need help

I have looked on this website but cant find the information I need, so I am hoping someone can help me. five years ago i had an assessment from Doncaster council for my care needs, after having council care staff I opted for direct payments ( the care staff often didn't come or didn't do anything while here.) I was told I was entitled to 16 1/2 hours per week and i had to pay ( i think it was about £75 every four weeks ) I am on DLA High rate and EES I own my own home ( mortgage ) but live alone. I do not have any saving or investments etc .

I had the financial assessment people out today, apparently there was a change in my benifits from incapacity to EES , and that is why they came out ( although i believe this happened a couple of years ago.

The amount towards the direct payments I needed to make went up to £93 every four weeks, from the £75

Today I was told the amount i need to pay is £344 every four weeks.

If I paid this and paid my other out goings ( including my mortgage ) it would leave me with £31 every four weeks for food ! I don't put my heating on because things are a stretch now :-/

I have spent the afternoon trying to find out about what they can and can't take into account and the only thing that I have found that helps is that the "night care " component can't be allowed.

I need to know if there is a legal amount that a person should be allowed to keep, if they can disregard my mortgage? I have spoken to Dial and they said they can't advice on direct payments because its to complicated. He has given me the number of money advice line and another number for premium rate calls.

Over the last four or five years I have had big expenses such a new boiler and I have built up debt ( the figures I have given do not take into account any debt )

My head is all over the place, I feel sick with stress, I even told someone today I want to kill myself and I am not sure if I can go on fighting all the time, being looked down on and not having much of a social life, I am not sure its worth fighting anymore. I am 52 and I just can't see an escape route from this bloody maize. If anyone has any advice or knows where I can find the information from this council can you give me it please.

Most of the stuff I have tried to find out just leaves me going around in circles.

Oh and one last thing, I have had to tell my carer that she is probably out of a job ( I need her but she needs a wage )

Thanks in advance

I can't help you with your problem but Age UK may be able to. I should try them.

You need to speak to someone local who knows how things work in your area. Because things vary massively from place to place.

The assessment for how much a person can pay in my county is done first before they decide the hours needed, it's common that people here then find the hours match whatever the contribution the council says the person must make. When I had an assesssment for direct payments they said I must give up my DLA, disability premiums and support group component which left me £72 or so for all of my needs which weren't covered by direct payments (of which there are a lot as well as food/topping up rent/bills). I know others in other areas who got assessed completely differently.

I am not an OAP :-/ I couldn't find anything on their website that would cover the questions I have, but thanks, I will try tomorrow when I am hopefully calmer and have shifted this pounding head ache. I have come to the conclusion that they make finding information hard in the hopes that people will just give up. I don't understand why each council have their own rules, its postcode lottery
    Thank you

Age UK will help anyone over the age of 50, you don't have to be an OAP.
    Give them a ring and ask to speak to someone who knows about D P. I'm sure they will have dealt with them before.

Quote Originally Posted by kim View Post
    I have looked on this website but cant find the information I need, so I am hoping someone can help me. five years ago i had an assessment from Doncaster council for my care needs, after having council care staff I opted for direct payments ( the care staff often didn't come or didn't do anything while here.) I was told I was entitled to 16 1/2 hours per week and i had to pay ( i think it was about £75 every four weeks ) I am on DLA High rate and EES I own my own home ( mortgage ) but live alone. I do not have any saving or investments etc .

I had the financial assessment people out today, apparently there was a change in my benifits from incapacity to EES , and that is why they came out ( although i believe this happened a couple of years ago.

The amount towards the direct payments I needed to make went up to £93 every four weeks, from the £75

Today I was told the amount i need to pay is £344 every four weeks.

If I paid this and paid my other out goings ( including my mortgage ) it would leave me with £31 every four weeks for food ! I don't put my heating on because things are a stretch now :-/

I have spent the afternoon trying to find out about what they can and can't take into account and the only thing that I have found that helps is that the "night care " component can't be allowed.

I need to know if there is a legal amount that a person should be allowed to keep, if they can disregard my mortgage? I have spoken to Dial and they said they can't advice on direct payments because its to complicated. He has given me the number of money advice line and another number for premium rate calls.

Over the last four or five years I have had big expenses such a new boiler and I have built up debt ( the figures I have given do not take into account any debt )

My head is all over the place, I feel sick with stress, I even told someone today I want to kill myself and I am not sure if I can go on fighting all the time, being looked down on and not having much of a social life, I am not sure its worth fighting anymore. I am 52 and I just can't see an escape route from this bloody maize. If anyone has any advice or knows where I can find the information from this council can you give me it please.

Most of the stuff I have tried to find out just leaves me going around in circles.

Oh and one last thing, I have had to tell my carer that she is probably out of a job ( I need her but she needs a wage )

Thanks in advance
    Hi I have had very similar problems to you, the only thing I can suggest is to contact your local Councillor which is what I did, he has been helping me sort things out, as was getting very muddled with everything, chin up and good luck.