Hi there,

My fiance is disabled from a genetic condition called Norrie's disease. He has been blind since birth and has a progressive hearing impairment for which he wears hearing aides.

He has been employed in the public sector since he completed his degree, at first full time and then more recently 4 days a week due to problems with his health. He has had to have a lot of time off sick unfortunately, due to intermittent severe hearing loss which can last for 2-3 days and causes him total isolation.

We have been living apart (he lives in Wales, I live in south east England) for a year and a half. He has been applying for jobs near me for the last 6 months with no reply, no letters in response, no emails. we did try to find me a teaching post in Wales, but they are like gold dust and all the Welsh teachers are getting jobs in London as they can't find a post.

So we came to the difficult decision that he would hand in his notice and move in with me. I feel terribly guilty even though, it makes sense as I earn far more and have total job security whereas he doesn't. However, I am concerned that he won't ever get a job again now, with the severity of his disabilities and his absence record.

I feel that he has made this momentous decision because of me, but at the same time, we are getting married next February, and what was the alternative? Be a married couple that lives far away from each other?

As he has given up his job, he also won't be entitled to any additional benefits etc. Will the disability officer at the Job Centre plus even help us, or are we on our own because of what we have done?

He would be happy with part-time, even one day a week, but it's unlikely I know. I feel very worried!