Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Housing Benefit 14% reduction from next year question?

Housing Benefit 14% reduction from next year question?

Hello everyone,

Hope someone can help.

I am in the support group of ESA Contribution based. I have an appeal in for DLA.

I have been offered a property which is two bedroomed with a housing association however I read that from next year as a single person I would be deducted 14% of my housing benefit as it would be two bedroomed. Well I wont move in if thats the case but I cant find if this is set in stone or if there is a transitional period etc?

Hope someone has some answers,

Cheers

This is all I can find, hope it's of some help http://www.highland.gov.uk/livingher...re-changes.htm

It is still up in the air, but if it happens it will be reduced by £11 per week per extra room. Disabled people migh be able to claim an exception if they can show they need care & that any carers need a bebdroom, even if that carer/ carers do not live in. If that sounds confusing that is because it is.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

It is still up in the air, but if it happens it will be reduced by £11 per week per extra room. Disabled people migh be able to claim an exception if they can show they need care & that any carers need a bebdroom, even if that carer/ carers do not live in. If that sounds confusing that is because it is.
    I noticed, what if you receive DLA and your wife/husband acts as your carer I wonder?

Take it if offered. The HA will know all about potential new housing law and wouldn't offer you this option if you would be out of pocket. Think yourself lucky that they are anticipating your future needs.

The HA will know all about potential new housing law and wouldn't offer you this option if you would be out of pocket
    I did and they didn't know much about it sadly.

If a partner is the carer then they share a room with you as a couple, so the reduction would still stand.

I think LT is right in saying to take it, even if there are problems later on, as getting any rented home these days is very hard.

No one knows anything about any of the benefit changes becuase it is still not been worked out, even though it has been put into law-they voted it in earlier this year. How any of these changes will actually work in practice is still been worked out. Disabled people-I assume those on DLA or something like IB-are suppose to have the ability to apply for an exception under certain circumstances. Who is to decide what these circumstances are is yet to be decided, & what the circumstances are are also yet to be formally decided.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

If you are single then I am amazed the HA is offering you a two bed place, they must have properties to spare.
    I think a more serious question is whether the council will pay HB for this now. They, not the HA, may deem that you do not need a two bed. Maybe you should call the council and find out where you stand on this point.
    It appears from your post that you are single and that you do not have/need live in carer.

Actually, that is a very good point I had not thought about. Yes, they should not be doing that under current policy. Yes, I would check to make sure before you move in.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    If you are single then I am amazed the HA is offering you a two bed place, they must have properties to spare.
    I think a more serious question is whether the council will pay HB for this now. They, not the HA, may deem that you do not need a two bed. Maybe you should call the council and find out where you stand on this point.
    It appears from your post that you are single and that you do not have/need live in carer.
    As a rule housing benefit is a set amount for a single person. Thus if the benefit is £99.50 and your 2 bed flat/house is £115 you make up the difference. Same aplies if it was a 1 bedroom place.
    I live in a private 2 bed property and am single, my rent is £50/week thus the council will pay all of the rent.