Thread: Big brother is watching

Big brother is watching

Has anyone heard of the 'Government Gateway' - well it appears I'm on it!

I have a very old paper driving licence that looks tatty so I want to replace it. The DVLC now only supply credit card type licences with your photo and signature on it - the cost £20.

What I found spooky was filling in the details on line as the online form started to predict my NI number. passport number, date of birth etc.

I guess all these databases are interlinked or 'joined up'. It seems you have to join so I guess this is a bit like an ID card.

I wonder if they know what colour underpants I'm wearing - big brother is watching! Be careful what you sign up for as there's no going back!!

http://www.gateway.gov.uk/

I find nothing spooky about my computer predicting things like my name, address, NI number, passport number etc as I have filled all of them in on line before and it is my computer doing the predicting and not BB.

Quote Originally Posted by bwspetrie View Post
    I find nothing spooky about my computer predicting things like my name, address, NI number, passport number etc as I have filled all of them in on line before and it is my computer doing the predicting and not BB.

I agree to a point. My computer predicts my address details but I've never needed to type in my NI number or passport ID before. So I'm mystified!!

They know everything about all of us. It is all stored on computers. They can even see what I am typing now if they want to. It is not new. Often when you phone up they are getting your details up using your phone number. Often when people ask for your details it is just to make sure you are who you say you are. It does not always mean the person has access to everything though, just certain things may appear on their screen. Computers do the same when we access our information for accounts, etc.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

I'm trying not to replace my paper DL as the new ones have to be renewed every 10 years at your cost (+ I'm tight)

Quote Originally Posted by tinker View Post
    I'm trying not to replace my paper DL as the new ones have to be renewed every 10 years at your cost (+ I'm tight)
    Do what I did.

I'd never had a photo licence or a passport until last year. DVLA can get your photo from The Identity And Passport Service saving you a few quid getting anymore photos done

your photo for licence

You're right. I could have clicked the online box saying use my photo and signature from my passort but as it's 8 years old I thought a new one is best . . . the I got the special form that dictates how you should look in your photo

The photo must
    - be taken of the full head
    - be recent
    - no 'redeye'
    - in sharp focus
    - free from glare from glasses
    - be taken against a light background
    - in colour
    - no shadows or creased photos

You must-
    -face forward
    - look natural with eyes open
    - no sunglasses
    - nothing covering your face
    - no hat or head covering

And your face must be at least 29mm and no more than 34mm deep.

Well I guess that rules out my favourite portrait where I'm sat on a beach with a sunset background wearing a cap, sunglasses with a smile on my face taken 8 years ago - pity!

I'm now owner of the very privileged 'Government Gateway club - complete with credit card type ID . Does that mean I get discount at bargain booze I wonder.