Thread: Breakdown number 25 on my wav

Breakdown number 25 on my wav

In a nutshell my wav is a Mercedes sprinter that has had 22 call outs by the rac due to bulbs blowing oil problems and my favorate the gear box , at Christmas the warning light came on and the auto gear box decided to blow , it spent two weeks at Mercedes to be told that there was no oil in the transmission (even though they serviced it in October).
    Got it back and in may it decided to play dead and told it was tyre pressure but it was a sensor in the gear box , anyway got it sorted and guess what it went on Friday , left it for a few hrs ( waiting for rac) they gave it a run round and it was fine , so lucky for me I videoed on my phone to show him.
    Motability set up another technical problem and if it happens again they will change it.
    Touch wood nothing has gone wrong upto now.

That is appalling service.

I'm surprised that Mercedes didn't offer a replacement after the fist couple of problems - they would have done if this was a private lease!
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

I have a Mercedes Sprinter and are 16 months into the 5 year contract, you say your vehicle had has 22 RAC call outs , I'm interest to hear what the call outs are, have you got time to list them please.

Angry

Yep I shall but today it broke down again but this time the electric rear doors have gone ie the motor to open them.
    Rac came again but there's nothing they can do so on Monday it's back on the phone to technical soloutions and a rant to grants who on Friday insist that they want to talk to me to make sure iam making the right decision on trying to cancel the van and try to change it, which is easy said than done.
    Rather than list every single time rac came out I shall list with how many times it went if you know what I mean.
    Gear box break down since Christmas 2011 x5
    Wheelchair lock to clamp chair not working x 4
    Blown fuses for adaptions x7
    Near side brake light blown x 5
    Off side brake light blown x2
    Oil warning light comes on at 70 mph dealer says too much oil in engine I must have done it so want me to pay but they serviced it only 2 months ago.
    Near side door mirror loose rac called to tighten no further problems.
    Front off side wheel vibrating kwickfit says bad vibration in wheel and can not correct any more try it and no joy re call out and swap front with rear tyres, week later call out and re balance tyres and changed then organise trip to Mercedes to have tracking done , got there and they haven't got right equipment will need to go to technical section of Mercedes in Manchester not Stockport .
    Tracking done and upto now that bit is ok.
    Ramp rusting away
    And this is all from October 2010 and it's only done 21612 miles what a joke.
    Last edited by Capt billabong; 21-07-12 at 19:54.

I guess you must be very very unlucky, as the Sprinter as an unadapted vehicle is a trusty workhorse. If i had to find fault with my Sprinter and my previous VW van, its the companies that do the conversion work are not up to main dealer standard. Lucky for me i have a motor trade background, so will fix simple jobs, or able to spot a problem before it turns into a breakdown.
    What have mercedes said about the 5 gearbox problems, does your vehicle have a press buttonn gear selection or a standard mercedes lever.
    Have motability offered you a hire vehicle each time your van has broken down, or are your adaptions the type that no hire company would have such a vehicle ?
    Like i say your must be very very unlucky as Sprinters are sold emergency services because of their reliability .
    Could you back the van to motability and get a Volkswagen T5 transporter, with medium or high roof ?

Hi bob, I think the sprinter on the whole is a very well proven van as on the forums there's nothing but praise and even on motorhomes it's the same.
    Like you said its the adaptions as when they install them they all have to run through the fuse box and I think they should up the fuse rating to take that extra load and this causes most of the fuse problems, the gear leaver is standard Mercedes sprinter shift ie auto/semi auto when it
    Sat broke down motability waved the fuel deposit so I had a vehicle which was a standard auto car which I believe I can get back to if I bought a scooter that comes apart to go in the boot.