Thread: Deposit refund?

Deposit refund?

Hi I inquired about changing my motability car early and motability told me they would give me the go ahead when i was ready however the lady on the phone couldn't tell me how much of my original advance payment etc would be refunded, she said i would find out when i canceled my current lease, but i need to know how much i will be refunded so i can choose my new car which may also have an advanced payment,Tbh the lady on the phone wasn't very helpful, does anybody on here know how the deposit refund is worked out? we paid £1500 12 months ago and also paid £500 for optional extra's

I don't think you'll get any money back on your optional extras (although you could haggle that part with Motability), but you'll get a pro-rata payment back of 24/36 months or £1000 in your case (24/36 x £1500).
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Why are you changing early? You wont get anything back for the extras you decided to add.
    If lucky you will as has been said, get a pro rata repayment of your AP, IF the reason for change is valid one

Quote Originally Posted by warkman View Post
    Why are you changing early? You wont get anything back for the extras you decided to add.
    If lucky you will as has been said, get a pro rata repayment of your AP, IF the reason for change is valid one
    I agree with your comments as there has to be a valid reason to terminate the lease early. This is what motability advised me earlier this year when I enquired about an early termnation. As has been said, if they do agree its a pro rata refund of any AP but nothing for extras.

As the others have already said you will not get anything for the extras and a pro-rata payment for the AP. You won't actually receive any payment until a few weeks after you hand it back, at least that is what happened in my case (last year). Of course the amount of the pro-rata depends on how long you have the car before it goes back so it's a chicken & egg type problem as you have to order the new car to find out how long delivery time is. Unless of course yo return the car first before ordering a new one which isn't usually practical.

Thanks for the replies,

The reason i wanted to change the car is because, i have recently started to use a wheel chair for traveling around outside long distances, i can only walk very short distances, and using a wheel chair enables me to travel around town and shops etc, however the chair doesn't fit into my current car because the boot is too small, so i wanted to change it for something with a bigger boot for this reason. Would this be an acceptable reason to change and being able to get a pro-rata refund on the AP?

Quote Originally Posted by lucylee2012 View Post
    Thanks for the replies,

The reason i wanted to change the car is because, i have recently started to use a wheel chair for traveling around outside long distances, i can only walk very short distances, and using a wheel chair enables me to travel around town and shops etc, however the chair doesn't fit into my current car because the boot is too small, so i wanted to change it for something with a bigger boot for this reason. Would this be an acceptable reason to change and being able to get a pro-rata refund on the AP?
    Speak to Motability and tell them the reasons and I think there is a good chance they will agree as it appears a valid reason. Good luck.

Also ask about help towards the cost of the new AP and any Adaptions that yopu may require (these could be optional extras that help with your disability like parking sensors etc).
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs