Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spammers

Spammers

If no-one views or attempts to view or even attempts to look at this boring tripe, the person doing it will soon get bored and will be denied the attention that it is so desperate for, sad really, but reality.

This site does a lot for the right reasons, do it a favour and ignore and without viewing or attempting to view the contents as it is just a waste of your valuable time imo.

Can't the threads just be deleted as they appear? Other forums just do that. The first page looks ridiculous.

The first page is entirely spamming. I don't know what they expect to achieve by doing this, unless of course it's out government trying to silence us and deny people the help they are seeking on here. Which I don't believe it is by the way. I just wouldn't be surprised!

Only if they have an active forum moderator on I believe.

I doubt it’s about being bored. If I’m thinking cynically enough I’d blame the tories.

The posts are only checked Mon-Fri I beleive, so over a weekend it is basically open season for them, if this is right.

I for one have the time, to help out weeding these posts out of the way, even if it is only to put them in a quarantine, for an 'official moderator' to check in normal office hours, in that way, even if I made a mistake, a real person would not lose out by being blocked. But lets face it, there are plenty of obvious spam posts to be cleared.

The above may not be workable, due to how things are set up on here, and due to my conditions, I may not always be available, but if it continues people will probably start turning away from the forum. After all we are here to help each other when and how we can.

I've explained elsewhere what modern spamming is about, here's a quick recap.

The spammer is not bothered if anyone actually reads the spam or not.
    The target is the search engine 'spiders' that collect everything so that google etc. can show it in search results.
    They don't even know ir care what forums they are spamming, they just use a list.

Those responsible for this are dodgy SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) marketing companies, who promise to raise your company's internet profile. (For a price).

All they really do is pay students and people from under-developed countries peanuts to post links on forums and blogs. (Forums are the easier target, forums want/need to let people post).
    They then say to their clients "Look how many websites we have your company name linked to - pay us for doing a good job."
    It does not raise the companies profile in the search engines one jot. The likes of Google are well aware what is going on and are not fooled.
    (But even they are at a loss how to stop it).
    It can even reduce your company's rating.

The paying companies would be horrified if they knew just what they were paying for. (I've contacted a couple who were suitably contrite/ horrified once it was explained).

PS. My analysis of the current spam here says there are 3 spammers.They show different patterns.
    One is a student somewhere in Europe (or possibly Africa), one seems to be in the far east, I've not tied the 3rd one down yet.
    Problem is that it's very easy to hide who you are on the Internet if you don't want to be identified.
    (Times the posts are made is about the best clue to general location).
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-02-18 at 18:06.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I used to like spam, thinly sliced on soft white bread with a scraping of pickle, yum!

I think we should overwhelm the websites that are using spam incorrectly, hopefully crashing them!

Pardon me for being a Luddite, but isn't there any software that exists to remove/filter spam?

Quote Originally Posted by Archersmate View Post
    I used to like spam, thinly sliced on soft white bread with a scraping of pickle, yum!

I think we should overwhelm the websites that are using spam incorrectly, hopefully crashing them!

Pardon me for being a Luddite, but isn't there any software that exists to remove/filter spam?
    I can't believev it has taken me 9 minutes to post this message after clicking 'FORUM' on the HOME page.

The spammers are now running this website.

I think it all went near shaped after they launched the new look but with adverts.

The advertisers should be told that thei9r brand is associated with one of the worse websites for customer satisfaction.

And to think that this website initiative started out with a £1,000,000 investment back in 2000 after winning an online venture on Channel 4's 'The E-millionaire Show.

I wonder whatever happened to Joe Rajko from Leeds.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/837496.stm

Quote Originally Posted by Archersmate View Post

i remember the monty python sketch !! spam spam spam spam!!

Not affecting the speed in which I am accessing the site or what I am posting.
    The time is taken filtering out the genuine posts.