Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In pain - any ideas

In pain - any ideas

You know my life revolves around physical pain 24/7. I don't take pain killers as only morphine based drugs can help and there are to many side effects if they are used.

However, over the last month I've been having stabbing pains in my right rear abdominal. The pain is sharp and short but feels like somebody has pushed a five inch knife under my rib cage. It's so acute it can knock the use of my right leg out which isn't good if I'm walking - only my crutch prevents me from falling over.

I've booked to see my doctor on Monday. I've a feeling he might suggest a stay in hospital for tests which I don't want - I hate making a fuss but I really need help. You know things are bad when complete strangers see you and ask if I need assistance. Who needs a PA when 'joe public' is happy to help.

Any ideas what it could be?

I had upper right abdominal pain just below the rib cage for quite a while, in fact it ruined my younger years and after a 5 minute examination and a ultra sound it was found to be gall bladder disease this has since been removed, didn't really prepare for the removal and how it would affect me afterwards with raised liver levels and getting dumping of fluids.

there are so many things which can go wrong with us and it is better not to pre-guess as this can make things worse, wait till Monday if the pain doesn't get too bad then see what your doctor says.

i know it is not good having something like this and if it does get to the point of unbearable either get an out of hours appointment or visit the hospital.

t.c

mike

That's useful to know Mike.

God I only got up for a pee and I'm having to use a wheelie trolley for extra support to travel 12 feet. Less than two weeks ago I had a domestic accident involving pain that was so severe and quick it took my legs from under me and I crashed head first into the tempered glass TV stand. It wasn't a pretty sight as I severed my ear in half on the glass edge. The blood poured out - the floor looked like a scene from a CSI murder case, my t-shirt was covered in blood and ruined and my pillowcase had to be washed twice to clean it up. I didn't go to hospital until the following morning where it was stitched back together.

I saw something on the web that described my symptoms to a tee and it could be trapped nerves in my spines and if I move in a certain position all hell breaks loose. I think I'll book to see a chiropractor as this sort of practice can give instant success for about £40.

Typically I've arranged to meet my parents for a meal out as it's fathers day. I'll just have to pray I get through the event without causing an event.

So doctors on Monday to flag the problem up and booking into chiropractor as I'm grasping any straws. You can tell things are bad as I did retail therapy on line yesterday and I hate shopping! I'm also happy to push my girlfriend away too as I don't like being fussed about - I'm becoming a grump! I guess I shouldn't date a fit woman 16 years my junior - that won't help my back either! lol Any other possible causes - all suggestions welcome - I'm going back to bed - it's pouring down outside.

If it's trapped nerves around your lower spine I would not recommend visiting a chiropractor. Unfortunately I suffer nerve disruption around the lower spine and the only relief is rest with external heat pads applied (and in my case copious amounts of opiates).
    Being naturally active and with a young family it's very hard to actually follow this advice and often the body takes over and enforces itself, I haven't yet had to replace a TV but I'm with you on the stitches .

Just been to see my doctor and he thinks it's muscular, skeletal and perhaps trapped nerves. God it's so painful. Out of a 1-10 scale of pain it rates very high about 9 plus and that's for someone who is pain tolerant!

Anyway he's piggy backing me on an MRI scan I'm having done on 5v July for my knee - I feel a complete wreck. You're right hedoesn't recommend a chiropractor as they could do more damage. Seems a long time to wait but I guess that's the NHS for you. There's the chance it could be stones but only a slight chance. I'm having to slowly walk doubled up - I feel like I'm 130 years old. Never take good health for granted it's a gift not a right.

Well I was checking to see if I could bring forward my MRI scans to find that a back MRI scan can't be booked through my doctor. So only consultants can recommend an MRI scan. Getting to see a spine consultant will take forever - I'm in too much pain to wait.

I've taken matters in my own hands and found a private consultant who I'll see on Thursday I told my doctor's secretary who will ask my doctor to fax him notes. As far as I'm concerned it's money well spent as I'm just stuck at home as every move I make is painful.

You know all I want to do is hang upside down suspended by my feet - it would be great to stretch my spine.

Have you tried hypnotherapy & acupuncture?

Joe public helps?
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    Have you tried hypnotherapy & acupuncture?

Joe public helps?
    Hi Stephen,

I've tried acupuncture in the past but when I found out the acupuncturist couldn't find my 'meridans' on my left side I wondered what I was paying for!

Hypnotherapy must be useful if you want to stop smoking but I'm not so sure it would work for a stabbing pain ie like someone slipping n a 5 inch blade under your rib cage - it happens that quick and is that intense your legs can collapse under you.

However I do have a high thrshold of pain in the first place to cope with pain 24/7. In fact I don't know what it's like to live without physical pain. However I've been taking 8000 mgs of a prescription drug called 'Zapalin that helps.

My doctor also organised for me to have an MRI scan of my lower back. This was booked for late July - I said that's to far away. They brought it forward to the 18 July and that's a long time away so my doctor told them I was in extreme pain. So they are giving me a scan on the 5 July - make a fuss ad they'll 'extradite' you to the front of the queue - - the doctor thinks it's inflamed trapped nerves - we'll see.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Hi Stephen,

I've tried acupuncture in the past but when I found out the acupuncturist couldn't find my 'meridans' on my left side I wondered what I was paying for!

Hypnotherapy must be useful if you want to stop smoking but I'm not so sure it would work for a stabbing pain ie like someone slipping n a 5 inch blade under your rib cage - it happens that quick and is that intense your legs can collapse under you.

However I do have a high thrshold of pain in the first place to cope with pain 24/7. In fact I don't know what it's like to live without physical pain. However I've been taking 8000 mgs of a prescription drug called 'Zapalin that helps.

My doctor also organised for me to have an MRI scan of my lower back. This was booked for late July - I said that's to far away. They brought it forward to the 18 July and that's a long time away so my doctor told them I was in extreme pain. So they are giving me a scan on the 5 July - make a fuss ad they'll 'extradite' you to the front of the queue - - the doctor thinks it's inflamed trapped nerves - we'll see.
    Zapain capsules and caplets contain two active ingredients, paracetamol and codeine phosphate Each capsule contains Paracetamol 500 mg, and Codeine Phosphate 30mg.

no wonder your in pain thats not much codeine but the paracetamol level is high enough to make your kidneys hurt IMO

+1 for accupunture solved a few of my niggles after 3 or 4 sessions