Thread: working tax credit/universal credit

working tax credit/universal credit

does anybody know the process of getting the equivalent of working tax credit added to a current universal credit claim i've tried the helpline and they where useless hmrc say i cant claim it through them because i have a live universal credit claim any help/advice will be much appreciated

Universal credit replaces working tax credit and you cannot claim both. Unfortunately it can mean you're worse off on UC than you were when claiming WTC. There's information on this here: https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/...ct-tax-credits
    Last edited by noisynoodle; 15-01-18 at 21:33.

If you are claiming Universal Credit then it already includes the equivalent of WTC, there is no seperate claim needed.

When you claim UC it includes the equivelent of WTC automatically if you qualify.

With WTC you had to make a seperate claim if you were eligible because of low income.

With UC it works the other way round, you already get the WTC equivalent and have a 'Work Allowance' which is the amount of money you can earn before your UC payment is affected.

Or to put it another way - instead of having to claim extra if your wages are low, with UC you get the extra automatically until your wages get higher.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

thanks for the replies i think they have forgotten to add it into my monthly payment because i am now working 40 hours aweek on an apprenticeship(£3.70ph)and the only difference in payment from when i was unemployed is they now pay me less money towards my rent were as before i started work i got the full rent

I think we have a missunderstanding difficulty, not hard with UC.

While you were unemployed you would not be entitled the the 'in work' parts of UC.
    Once you started work you would not be entitled to the 'out of work' part of UC.

It's all can seem confusing as you are still on UC, but are now claiming different parts of it for different reasons.

Previously you would have to close one benefit claim and make a new claim for a different benefit, (ie. close your JSA claim and claim WTC instead, and also let the council know for Housing benefit), with UC it's all done without new claims, and it's all called UC.

If you want to double check that they are paying everything they should then put your details into an online benefit calculator and it will tell you what you should be getting.
    Try this one: https://www.entitledto.co.uk/
    Last edited by nukecad; 16-01-18 at 22:13.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

it goes from bad to worse with my universal credit claim.i have just received a letter from them saying they will not be paying me anymore money and have closed my claim because i am earning too much which is a load of nonsense.rang their helpline and they admit it's their mistake but have no idea who closed my claim or why it was closed and basically just fobbed me saying go online and make a fresh claim.anybody got any better help or advice?
    Last edited by diesel70; 01-02-18 at 10:32.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel70 View Post
    it goes from bad to worse with my universal credit claim.i have just received a letter from them saying they will not be paying me anymore money and have closed my claim because i am earning too much which is a load of nonsense.rang their helpline and they admit it's their mistake but have no idea who closed my claim or why it was closed and basically just fobbed me saying go online and make a fresh claim.anybody got any better help or advice?
    Who did you telephone?

Your claim details should still be available to them.

Have a read of this and telephone the helpline:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...versal-credit/

Are you in a full service UC area?

i phoned the helpline,yes i think im in a full live service area as they keep on going on about that and trying to blame it for my claim being closed as part of the switchover

I would make a new claim immediately and ask for an advance payment. This would ensure that you get some money.

As for the mistakes they have made I would also ask for the decision to be looked at again - Mandatory reconsideration - and if this is declined make an appeal.

You may need some help with this:

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...redit-decision