Thread: esa and bank statements

esa and bank statements

Why don't they ask for bank statements when filling in an esa50? I filled in my form about 5 weeks ago now and have heard nothing from them yet but if they do pass me for esa I think it will have to be income related seeing as I've been on income support with disability top up for a number of years now so I wont have paid contributions for contribution esa.

If they do pass me for esa will they then request me to send the bank statements and if so how many of them? because mine are done online and I understand they will want originals so I will have to contact the bank which will be another delay

The DWP says that wherever possible they are changing people from IB/IS onto income based ESA more or less automatically. They have been paying you IS so will already have most information they need.
    They won't of course be automatically awarding the ESA - and that will be the priority for them - to sort out your eligibility for ESA.
    I honestly don't know what - if any - other info they might need after that. But would guess that asking people to send in bank statements before ESA eligibility has even been determined would be wasteful, plus by the time the claim is decided any bank statements would still be out of date.

It seems from what you say that you will for sure get IR ESA.
    It seems to me that many people don't get asked to produce bank statements for ESA yet do for other benefits.
    Also it is not true that they only accept originals. many like yourself bank on line and usually a print off of your own is acceptable.
    I'm not clear from your post as to your situation, have you had a medical assessment, has your GP been contacted, they may be waiting for either or both. 5 weeks is not excessive given the current state of the DWP.

Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    It seems from what you say that you will for sure get IR ESA.
    It seems to me that many people don't get asked to produce bank statements for ESA yet do for other benefits.
    Also it is not true that they only accept originals. many like yourself bank on line and usually a print off of your own is acceptable.
    I'm not clear from your post as to your situation, have you had a medical assessment, has your GP been contacted, they may be waiting for either or both. 5 weeks is not excessive given the current state of the DWP.
    Thats right - people can be waiting much longer than that, and if benefits are still being paid while waiting then I'd advise not to rock the boat and just stick it out!