Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: universal credit..how will affect people?

universal credit..how will affect people?

sorry to sound daft but hows UC going to work?
    Ive got a friend whos other friend works in welfare rights and shes told her that they are going to start trialing it early.
    Shes also mentioned that we will all eventually get our benefits monthly which ive heard before but wasnt sure if it was right.
    I HOPE THEY RETHINK THIS
    When my partner worked, he went from weekly pay at one job to monthly pay at his next and it was truly awful...
    it was bad enough when they changed income support from weekly to fortnightly...
    Also, is it true that they are keeping some benefits seperate eg carers, dla to name but a few but putting housing benefit in with UC?
    So we get IS, child benefit, child tax credit, CA, DLA, housing/council tax benefit.How will it work for us?
    Will we get IS, child tax, and housing benefit rolled into one (i heard they were keeping child benefit seperate too?) and get it all at the end of the month like a wage?
    Its a bit confusing to say the least, not to mention a right old **** UP!

Problem is they are going to be changing everything at the same time, so its going to be a absolute nightmare. Their computer systems probably wont be able to cope and it will be a right mess. If you add the replacement PIP for DLA as well, then you have a recipie for disaster.

Their computer system can't even come within a country mile of coping with the change over from IB to ESA chuck several or many additional benefits into the inept computer system and absolute chaos will reign . They should have studied the 6 Ps before bringing about any change

6 ps = Forward PREPERATION & PLANNING PREVENTS PI*S POOR PERFORMANCE

Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Their computer system can't even come within a country mile of coping with the change over from IB to ESA chuck several or many additional benefits into the inept computer system and absolute chaos will reign . They should have studied the 6 Ps before bringing about any change

6 ps = Forward PREPERATION & PLANNING PREVENTS PI*S POOR PERFORMANCE
    The Government have rushed ahead with all these changes without thinking about the computer migration. It will end up being messy and costly.

oh dear, im not looking forward to this at all and i know im not alone when i say that..
    why the bloody hell do they have to **** about? Yeah, the benefits system can be a bit complex and damn right infuriating at times but they are about to make things a damn sight worse...they just cant leave things be can they?
    why dont they just put everyone who cant work (whether it be due to illness, being a carer, or having kids under 5 etc) on IS and then top them up with the correct premiums for their circumstances, those who can work but are unemployed remain on JSA, do away with ESA, ATOS medicals etc and take the claimants own GPs/consultants word for it when assessing work capability, get rid of CTC and make payment for children with JSA/IS again, Keep WTC, CB, DLA etc seperate like theyve always been...
    as Sergei would say....SIMPLES!

Quote Originally Posted by kandl81 View Post
    oh dear, im not looking forward to this at all and i know im not alone when i say that..
    why the bloody hell do they have to **** about? Yeah, the benefits system can be a bit complex and damn right infuriating at times but they are about to make things a damn sight worse...they just cant leave things be can they?
    why dont they just put everyone who cant work (whether it be due to illness, being a carer, or having kids under 5 etc) on IS and then top them up with the correct premiums for their circumstances, those who can work but are unemployed remain on JSA, do away with ESA, ATOS medicals etc and take the claimants own GPs/consultants word for it when assessing work capability, get rid of CTC and make payment for children with JSA/IS again, Keep WTC, CB, DLA etc seperate like theyve always been...
    as Sergei would say....SIMPLES!
    Well basically that is what they do - top people up with IS premiums according to circumsatnces. The difference will be that it will be called Universal Credit - and yes, will include HB along with some other stuff.
    DLA will still be seperate - but will be PIP. And to be honest WTC is still a fairly new benefit, and one I've never agreed with, mainy because it is administered (badly) by the Revenue. I can't see why that couldn't have been payed as a type of IS - except that the DSS as it was then were keen to shed jobs, so giving it to the Revenue suited their purpose.
    I keep hearing these rumours about earlier starts to both UC and PIP, but have yet to see any confirmation. It could of course be true - this Government acts before it thinks - but the transition to both UC and PIP is expected to take 4 years, which wil mean 4 different systems running alongside. It will all end in tears!

I just do not know & no one else does either actually, not really. That is not true, we all know, it will be a complete farce. I do not feel you can make so many changes at the same time when you are incapable of managing such a service normally & have shown you cannot make changes without it being a total mess before.

Monthly payments for all benefits will hurt a lot of people, if they do it as they do now with most of the monthly benefits. You get 3 weeks in arrears & 1 in advance. This means when you make a new claim you have to wait. Also, the obvious, this is not a fortune we will be getting & we live from benefit payment to benefit payment. Many bills are paid monthly, but at different times, they are not all paid on the same day. Also some bills are lunar ^ some calendar. Add to that we have expenses weekly. I keep a record on my income & outgoings. Each month when I get my DLA & other monthly benefits one thing I note is the balance of my bank account. This total differs monthly by several hundred pounds, & not because I have spend hundreds less or more, but because of the reasons I have listed about variable payments.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Ithink its ridiculous .
    Why cant they ask the people what they want instead of assuming or just changing things because they feel its the right way to do things?THEY HAVENT GOT A CLUE!!!it makes me sick..
    Its not going to work, people will be left up s**t creek without a paddle.
    They could make IS a universal benefit for those who cant work and keep JSA for those who can as i suggested in my last post^^^^ and just add premiums for individual circumstances, do away with ESA, IB, CTC etc and keep DLA/PIP etc seperate along with WTC
    ARE THEY DAFT OR SOMETHING? ANSWERS ON A POSTCARD PLEASE!

"The Government will top up the benefits of those who would otherwise be entitled to less under the new system." If this is the case then why not just pay people the same under UC as now? That means there will be another system in operation to top up. Anymore farces?
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by kandl81 View Post
    Ithink its ridiculous .
    Why cant they ask the people what they want instead of assuming or just changing things because they feel its the right way to do things?THEY HAVENT GOT A CLUE!!!it makes me sick..
    Its not going to work, people will be left up s**t creek without a paddle.
    They could make IS a universal benefit for those who cant work and keep JSA for those who can as i suggested in my last post^^^^ and just add premiums for individual circumstances, do away with ESA, IB, CTC etc and keep DLA/PIP etc seperate along with WTC
    ARE THEY DAFT OR SOMETHING? ANSWERS ON A POSTCARD PLEASE!
    Thats pretty much what UC aims to do - it makes IS into a universal benefit - but it also encompasses JSA. But as with most changes to benefits it also aims to reduce what is paid out. Changes have gone on in the benefits system for many years, but this one is too much at one go.