Thread: Charity which accepts mobility scooters?

Charity which accepts mobility scooters?

Does anyone know of a charity who will accept 2nd hand mobility scooters? It's in working order, nearly new battery, but I would prefer to give it away as I've had more than my money's worth out of it.

It's in Poole, Dorset if that's relevant.

Charity shops will not accept anything electrical. Its all to do with PAT testing and Elf and Safety. Suggest you try Preloved, Facebook, your local MS Society, Age Concern. If none of the above will shift it, I'll eat my hat.

Freecycle is another, local, good one.

BTW.
    PAT testing must be the most misunderstood legislation for years. (Apart from UC).

It stands for Portable Appliance Testing and was only meant for portable appliances in the workplace.
    ie. something you could unplug and move about at work.

If it belongs to you and is for personal use then PAT does not apply.

But lots of (insurance type) firms saw they could make money out of it and got people scared they were not complying if/when they sold second hand stuff.

If it's for your personal use, at home, then PAT does not apply.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Our charity shops take electrical items and PAT test them before they are put on sale.

Hi AngieHB.
    Have you thought of contacting your local Red Cross to see whether they would accept it?. I know that they loan out wheelchairs and mobility aids, and I have used this service myself many years back. I remember them (my branch at the time) being very short on available equipment so I guess that they may be very grateful for this.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Our charity shops take electrical items and PAT test them before they are put on sale.
    Yes I know, they all do. As does anyone selling second hand electrical goods.

There is no need for it under legislation, a visual inspection is quite sufficent, but their insurers make it a clause in their public liability insurance so they have to do it anyway.

As I said above a nice little earner for the insurance companies. (And the testers if they don't have an in house electrician).

(There is no need for PAT testing of new appliences either, but most workplaces do it anyway for the same reasons)
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Yes I know, they all do. As does anyone selling second hand electrical goods.

There is no need for it under legislation, a visual inspection is quite sufficent, but their insurers make it a clause in their public liability insurance so they have to do it anyway.

As I said above a nice little earner for the insurance companies. (And the testers if they don't have an in house electrician).

(There is no need for PAT testing of new appliences either, but most workplaces do it anyway for the same reasons)
    Yes I realise that as I was the qualified person to do it for my former employer.