Thread: Universal credit to start early

davewhit

Oh great, just what we need, another farce. Is it not bad enough that the transfers to ESA are a mess? That PIP is so complex & not even those working with it know what it is, so there is another mess. Now we have UC early. My biggest fear about UC is not that is will be chaos & cause stress & suffering to millions. Yes, I have a greater fear than that. My worry is that in all this somehow we shall get even less in total than we do now on the separate benefits it will be replacing.

Plus, so much has not been explained properly. Right now I get free prescriptions-I have 10 items a month-because I get Income Support. I also get free eye tests & help towards glasses, & free dental, etc. All because I am on IS. How do I prove I get this on UC? How does everyone else? Will the fact is is one benefit count as a larger income where are no some of these benefits are not counted when calculating other things?
    Last edited by Stepheninleeds; 24-05-12 at 18:14.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    Oh great, just what we need, another farce. Is it not bad enough that the transfers to ESA are a mess? That PIP is so complex & not even those working with it know what it is, so there is another mess. Now we have UC early. My biggest fear about UC is not that is will be chaos & cause stress & suffering to millions. Yes, I have a greater fear than that. My worry is that in all this somehow we shall get even less in total than we do now on the separate benefits it will be replacing.

Plus, so much has not been explained properly. Right now I get free prescriptions-I have 10 items a month-because I get Income Support. I also get free eye tests & help towards glasses, & free dental, etc. All because I am on IS. How do I prove I get this on UC? How does everyone else? Will the fact is is one benefit count as a larger income where are no some of these benefits are not counted when calculating other things?
    IDS seems to think that UC will lead to people getting more jobs, and making 'work' pay. i sometimes wonder what planet IDS lives on...

UC isn't being introduced any earlier than planned. It is being trialled from next April in a small area - just like PIP will be. It is still going to take 4 years (at least) to fully change people over to it from IS etc.
    During that time there will be 2 different systems running side by side - as well as DLA and PIP running side by side. THAT sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

They always talk about how many jobs are available, making it seem like all those jobs are just available to the unemployed, & that each week the same amount of news jobs become available. Everyone knows this is not the case. They do not accept that a lot of people apply for those jobs & the same amlunt of jobs to not come up every week.

Before the end of this whole farce we will all suffer. With the known lack of ability of government departments to run themselves properly, one system does not work. Four systems at the same time will mean hell.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen