Thread: Wheelchair conversion kits vs. accessible vans?

KCMama1985

Wheelchair conversion kits vs. accessible vans?

DH and I are looking into buying a vehicle that's more apt for mobility but I'm not sure if it's better to purchase an existing wheelchair accessible vehicle or if we should opt for a wheelchair conversion kit. I put links to the company we're looking at purchasing from for reference.

Has anyone purchased either before? If so, what were your experiences? I feel so lost- it's like drinking water from a firehose.

Hi there, Youreable is primarily a UK based forum, so you may not get any specific answers in regards to the companies mentioned.

However to answer your question.

1. If you have you're own vehicle that's suitable to be adapted, then this may be the cheaper option.

2. If you are looking to buy an adapted vehicle, contact the company to see if they have any used models which may be cheaper.

Either way I would contact the company to ask any specific questions, you may want to ask for references from others who have had the conversions.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs