Thread: direct payments and ESA/DLA

direct payments and ESA/DLA

If you get direct payments how much do social services make you contribute out your ESA/DLA? Say if you have been awarded 30 hours support per week how much do you need to meet yourself? on highl rate care/support group? I'm on section 117 aftercare because on community treatment order. I'm just wondering If they take me off and make me pay?

In my area it's all the DLA/PIP care element, they won't accept anyone not on low rates and argue about those on mid DLA care (so presumably it's the same for low PIP) they also take disability premiums as well and if you get ESA support group or WRAG that too and then if they feel it's needed top up - it's common here they don't top up, you find your hours allocated are whatever you can contribute.

In theory they allow you to keep money which is for medical needs that are not covered by direct payments, but actually I found that really difficult - for example I am incontient and so must pay for pads as only one is provided on NHS here and they're really bad. However, the person assessing me for direct payments rejected that as an expense saying it must be covered by NHS.

I don't get anything anymore as my DLA was stopped. I do know it varies massively.

I too have to pay for pads, the nhs ones are tena slip supers and they are cloth backed and I really dislike them. My appointee pays for molicare plastic backed out my money which is £130 a month plus £30 a month for wipes and chair pads. How much you paying for your pads and what brand you using? I have tried them all and find molicare slip more comfortable because I'm overweight and they don't chaff and did into me. My appointee which is social service have no problem buying pads for me and they don't forse me to use nhs ones.

Direct Payments will come out and interview you first to see if you can receive DP. They will ask about you benefits, income and savings.
    From that they rule whether or not you have to make a contribution. It will vary from LA to LA so there is not going to be one answer on here. Ring social services or direct payments, they should have given youa number.

At the moment I'm trying desperately to find ones without the anti smell technology(!) something like that anyway which I'm allergic to and is causing tears and infections. The NHS ones here aren't tens ones, they're more like a supermarket basic brand - when I say useless I mean it! My GP no one uses them as they're so crap. I'll have a look for those you mention. At the moment it's whatever is on offer due to the benefits screw up, but I'll look into those anyway. Thankyou. Sorry for the slight derail op.

With regard to different areas doing different things it really is genuinely impossible for anyone to say what decision tour council will take. When someone posted about DR on another site for the same information you're asking about there were as many different answers as posters. The variance was staggering from LA to LA. Please give your LA a call and ask for information.