Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clarification of " Indefinite"

Clarification of " Indefinite"

Many people still recieve benefit awards with the word indefinite in their confirmation letters, this was seen to be close to life time. However under the present and proposed changes what is the perception now?

davewhit
    indef means till they feel fit to review....it was never life time award they where wrote as life time award they too are now till they want to review

From a conversation with the ESA rep in my local no Jobcentre they are planning to review every claim after 2 or 3 years, whichever they can manage once they have their reduced staff levels sorted out.

Its all crap don't believe a word you read on internet sites regarding everything at the moment even the DWP are as much in the dark as we are .

I know we want to process all the clients on IB and DLA over to ESA and PIP as soon as possible so what we will do is reduce the numbers of the staff executing this change over . If you have to harvest a crop by hand and only have a limited amount of time before it spoils or the weather comes in and makes it impossible to harvest . You do not make any percentage of your pickers/harvesters redundant .
    This present administration is about as much use as an ash tray on a motor bike

If you go my the accepted definition it means for an unknown period of time or an unspecified period of time.. This is what DWP say on this: "If your benefit award is for an indefinite period, you will not usually have to make a renewal claim. Indefinite awards can sometimes be reviewed and you may need to have another medical examination as part of the review."
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

I understand about the indefinate explanation, but what if you still have the original award notice where it says for life?

Quote Originally Posted by C.C.L. View Post
    I understand about the indefinate explanation, but what if you still have the original award notice where it says for life?
    As DLA is to be changed to pip it will no longer exist .You cannot claim a benefit which no longer exists is what i have been told by people on here .
    I am in the same boat i have a life award and still have the original letter + a few copies . Should any problems arise in the change over to PIP i will take it to court as IMHO life award is totally different to indefinite as indefinite simply means no set amount of time but it could and probably will end and life means it ends when they carry you out in a box .
    People will now argue/debate that they are exactly the same taking the literal meaning of both phrases life means until you die and indefinite could be months or years but it will come to an end .

I got my life award when 10 Downing street was Majors den I therefore was given my award when Conservatives were in power so non of this correcting Labours mistakes can come into it . If they did not want people to have life awards and possibly challenge them in court they should not have put it in writing . However as I do not think i will have any problems in the migration to PIP all the above will probably turn out to be hot air but should needs be I am well up for a fight

I've been told by an MP (who was trying to find out what was happening to tell his constituents) that as it (pip) is a 'new' benefit everybody on DLA will be re-assessed and any previous awards will be superseded, furthermore the new benefit will be reviewed every so often, he was originally told 3 years but when he pointed out they will probably still be implementing the changeover what with appeals etc they changed it to 5- 10 years.
    In his own words' they haven't a bloody clue what will actually happen in the real world'.
    we went on to discuss whether a 're-assessment' will mean a totally new claim as in existing DLA & what would happen age wise if the claimant was over 65 or what would be considered retirement age & again he recons they don't even know what the 'real' position is for able-bodied unemployed let alone those of us who are disabled. They don't even know how much the new benefit rates will be yet and they are already talking about extra cuts to the budget
    This guys party is actually in government but by his own admission they're not making many friends. To be fair I'm pretty sure he'll let me know when he actually gets told himself, he says he too finds out things from the newspapers rather than their leaders.

Given the present planned changes why use the word indefinite at all. In the past this word was used to indicate that the DWP accepted given the severity of disability there was little chance of the claimants condition improving.
    I don't think most of us would be bothered if we were re assessed every month if it wasn't for the bizarre process involved and the worry of the uncertainty it causes.
    Once again this all comes down to the fraudsters that the DWP are trying to weed out and that genuine claimants get tarred with the same brush.
    Thanks for your replies.

wobble1
    i think you have hit the nail on the head with that.