Thread: Filgrastim injections & travel!

Filgrastim injections & travel!

Hi All, A quick query re-above & how long injections can be kept out of fridge!

May (depending upon how I feel due to cycle 2 chemo) have opportunity of travelling with friends oop North t' borders for a few days, which I certainly know my wife (still not used to that phrase!) desperately needs after all of the additional running around she is now having to do (on top of all the 'normal' running around & assistance). Both in need of a break in between chemo cycles.

As some know, currently on filgrastim injections which need to be kept in fridge, but unable to find any info, even on medication sheet, about how long they can be kept out of fridge before being replaced. Would think the maximum amount of time would be 5 hours & to give example, longest they are kept out of fridge unit is currently 2-3 hours, depending upon when collected from hospital after receiving chemo and the travel time home.

Any advice or anybody faced similar, comments massively appreciated as ever.

Why not ask your pharmacist or ring the pharmacy dept at the hospital?

Hi Beau, Thought of that and only 'cos it's Sunday didn't do so! Doubt the extra couple of hours will make any massive difference-just wanting/needing to make sure. Have also thought that if if was such an inportant aspect of the storing of this particular meds, then they would inform you at pharmacy or it would certainly be on the medical sheet enclosed with injections.

however, you have given me idea that no reason why can't call hospital of even ask our local pharmacy/pharmacist who is actually a cracking bloke and has bent over backwards to help us out on previous occasions!

TY for the reply Beau.

How about one of those travel cooler bags with gel packs that keep your beer cold when going on a picnic?
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hey Nuke, Hope you well? Aye, it will be transported in something similar along with butties & wine (not mine, the missuses(!))

Also thought that poss of getting delayed traffic/roadworks wise, as friend tell of couple of nightmare journeys thay made when stuck in traffic/rworks adding, on worst occasion 4 hours to the 4 or 5 hour journey normally takes (depend on how many stops needed).

Cheers.

One tip I've heard is to get a large, wide mouth, thermos flask and put the medication in there along with one or two gel packs.
    Wrap the medication in bubble wrap first to avoid direct contact with the packs which could cause freezing.
    Being in a thermos rather than just a cooler bag it will keep cool for hours longer.

Obviously you can't carry a lot like this unless you have more than one thermos, but in case of big delay problems it should give an emergency supply until you can get hold of replacement meds.

As an emergency backup for a cooler bag you can go to the nearest supermarket and buy some bags of ice.
    If they don't have ice then bags of frozen veg/fruit will do the trick. (and you can eat them later).
    Assuming of course that you are not stuck in a traffic jam so can get to a shop.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Discuss with the pharmacy but from the info here https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugs...53s5157lbl.pdf page 24

"Storage
    NEUPOGEN® should be stored in the refrigerator at 2° to 8°C (36° to 46°F). Avoid
    shaking. Prior to injection‚ NEUPOGEN® may be allowed to reach room temperature for a
    maximum of 24 hours. Any vial or prefilled syringe left at room temperature for greater
    than 24 hours should be discarded. Parenteral drug products should be inspected
    visually for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration‚ whenever solution
    and container permit; if particulates or discoloration are observed‚ the container should
    not be used. "

looks as though not an issue but a prechilled flask or a 12v fridge for the car are other options

Hi Freda, TY for the research. Also for adding the flask idea as also advised from Nuke. In the end wnet with cooler and 'ice pack' that are used in conjunction. All injections seem to have survived-no difference from when stabbing self at home!

Talking of stabbing, commenced (or should have!) cycle 3 day 1 on Friday just gone. All bloods fine and chemo ordered. Sat in chair and psyched up for the cannulation...after 2 hours, 7 failed attempts and onto my 4th i/v nurse, even took nurse advice that after 7 'goes' even she would've called it a day! However, back tomorrow (Monday) afternoon, to try again. Chemo shelf life fine for a few days. Hopefully, after drinking (forcing!) more fluids...chocolate milk...strawberry flavoured water this pm, evening and tonight and continue tomorrow, along with keeping hands warm, hopefully this should help and equal success.

If not, having read on subjects of PICC and TIVAD (portacath-which I would opt for), I would look into having 1 installed for remainder of treatment.

MTs again for help, advise and ideas. Managed a great 7 days away, we did absolutely nothing and squeezed in a romantic candlelit meal at 5 star hotel, opting for the smaller 'steak dish (both of us) which, unfortunately, was the 6 oz fillet steak! Melted in the mouth and courtesy of our friends/witnesses!