Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The joy of powerchairs

Quote Originally Posted by keithl View Post
    There are a number of companies that offer a breakdown "get you home service". Motability use Autohome, but they are not the only one. You may also be able to get it as an extension to an insurance policy.

If you don't have it, I would strongly recommend taking out insurance - if you run into somebody, even if it is their fault or somebody else's, they could sue you. They was a programme about scooters a few years ago, and one of the cases that they showed was somebody who was on a scooter in a supermarket. Somebody using one of the shops' loan scooters ran into the back of the person featured, who in turn was shunted into a shopper, resulting in a broken leg. Because they didn't have the contact details of the users of the shop's scooter, despite it being on CCTV, the scooter rider was pursued through the courts.
    Wonder if you fill me in then Keith. Despite having insurance AND extended warranty, discovered the "get you home clause" is limited to 15 miles. Bit shite when I broke down in Lancaster visiting my daughter and I live in Shropshire. After that I did extensive research and havent found ANYONE that does a genuine AA style, pick you up from anywhere plan. Which is a major I reckon - assumes a disabled person doesn't want to go further than 15 miles/? Bit unrealistic I SAy

I added 3rd party liability for my scooter to my home insurance, much cheaper than taking out a separate one.

I once ran out of juice in the middle of the Trafford Centre. My battery charger showed full but when the lights started flashing the charge decreased rapidly within 300 yards!

I had to disconnect the motor and ended up sitting in my chair travelling in reverse by using my better leg to push me along while the chair reverted to a manual wheelchair. Luckily a lady came to my rescue and pushed me back to the car.

The moral of the story is plan ahead. I went to Southport Flower Show on Saturday so I fully charged my battery the night before so had no problems.

It's interesting about 'insurance', I'm with Fish insurance and my car that was carrying my wheelchair broke down. A recovery lorry was sent and took my vehicle to a local garage but I was left stranded in my wheelchair because I couldn't climb into the lorry cabin. I had to pay for a taxi to pick me up - you'd think they should have paid for the accessible taxi to get me home.

Taxis local to you. Phone these taxi companies up to enquire whether they have black cabs, WAVS or mini buses with a lift or ramp.

http://www.accessiblecountryside.org...olnshire-taxis

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    Wonder if you fill me in then Keith. Despite having insurance AND extended warranty, discovered the "get you home clause" is limited to 15 miles. Bit shite when I broke down in Lancaster visiting my daughter and I live in Shropshire. After that I did extensive research and havent found ANYONE that does a genuine AA style, pick you up from anywhere plan. Which is a major I reckon - assumes a disabled person doesn't want to go further than 15 miles/? Bit unrealistic I SAy
    The FISH breakdown offer with a car offers to take you home - but only if you can climb up ladders to get inside the breakdown pick-up truck. Not a well thought through service!

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    I'm guessing that this is designed to compare with the range of most scooters - not many have a 30 mile range.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    The FISH breakdown offer with a car offers to take you home - but only if you can climb up ladders to get inside the breakdown pick-up truck. Not a well thought through service!
    That is a bit ridiculous and you would expect more from Fish. I had recovery provided alongside a new vehicle warranty and when the car had to be recovered due to an accident they offered a taxi to collect me from the scene of the accident, that was the M3, and take me home as I couldn't get in the truck.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Biscuitgazer
    Is 3rd party insurance the same thing as public liability insurance?

Yes it is the same as public liability. It is insurance for 3rd parties.

Quote Originally Posted by keithl View Post
    I'm guessing that this is designed to compare with the range of most scooters - not many have a 30 mile range.
    This is still a major flaw. If, as I did, you travel on your wheelchair to the station, catch a train and then are more than 15 miles away?? They offered to get me to the station (half a mile away) but then that left me with a manual chair (which I couldn't push) and two in effect useful lumps of metal!! And a suitcase!
    So keith - which insurance offers to get your scooter/wheelchair home? NOT a car LT. From what I could find - no one.