Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: wet room

At least the council are acting quickly which is unusual. I hope the chap is diligent and prepared to make waves and get everything corrected. As far as I can remember you saying the contractors didn't follow the original plans, I may be wrong with that.
    Those contractors sound like real rip off merchants, get a council contract and then cut corners to save money therefore putting more in their own pockets.
    I know that sounds cynical but I saw it time and time again in the school I worked in. Site manager never checked the work but any work done in my department was checked by me and believe you me I made a fuss and got work corrected. I remember a time when we had a lab refitted, done so badly I eventually managed to get the contractors to rip it out and start again. You can imagine I was not popular with the site manager.

Why should you be losing sleep over something that it is contractors fault? You will make yourself ill. Put it to the back of your mind and let the council sort it.
    Easier said than done I know.

Sorted.

3 vans, 4 workers and their boss turned up as well!, cabling now neatly routed, transformer is now above the bathroom door (upside down!) so at least I can get to the button to drain the gulley/tray.

Boxing in has all been re-done with the waterproof boarding and the holes around the pipes/cable have been sealed. Cable to the pump (just the 24v one now) has been put into trunking and a new pump cover fitted.

The man from the council has been up and had a look in the loft and is happy, I can't manage to get up at the moment, it's a bad day and climbing a ladder when you're full of Tramadol & Oramorph is never a good idea!

Thanks to all for the help, hopefully I can now go shower in safety, assuming I don't fall over of course

I bet you are heaving a huge sigh of relief.
    Enjoy your new wet room.

Sorry you had so many problems with your wet room
    Now that everything is sorted I hope you get to enjoy it and it makes life easier for you

Thanks Deebee & Beau

I had the "Customer Satisfaction Survey" forms in the post today, the councils team got an A+, the contractor got a massive F

Don't know if it's normal but the mixer shower has very little range between "hot enough" and "just about too hot" which is the full on position for the hot dial, "hot enough" is at 11o'clock and "just too hot" is at 12, maybe the combi-boiler needs the hot water temperature increasing but when using it for washing up in the sink it certainly gets too hot to use without adding some cold to it, have to see how it copes with the colder water during the winter.

Two more jobs for me with the wet room, A. remove the curtain as my Autistic son hates it coming into the tray area when he's showering and B. getting the wiring re-done properly and the pump transformer/controller put into the bathroom where it should be. I've mentioned on the survey that sticking it upside down above the bathroom door means anyone under 6' 3" would have to stand on a step to use the button on it (which is about 1" under the ceiling!) to clear the gully when you wash the floor or get more water than the 30sec. run on after turning off the shower can get rid of.

So far I've found a 1.2m x 2m screen panel, simple enough to fit and would leave .5m to get into the shower at the opposite end to the shower head. Amazon do one for £118.99 so I think the credit card may be getting used!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071XV3HD1

Basically fitted as shown but our shower tray is buried under the flooring so it would sit directly on the flooring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	1873
    Last edited by phaedra; 07-09-17 at 23:56.

Sorry you had so many problems with your wet room
    Now that everything is sorted I hope you get to enjoy it and it makes life easier for you

So far I've found a 1.2m x 2m screen panel, simple enough to fit and would leave .5m to get into the shower at the opposite end to the shower head.
    500mm (19-1/2") is a bit of a tight opening. (Hold a brush handle up 500mm from a wall to see).
    Unless the end is also open like in the amazon picture?

A 'standard' interior door is about 260mm (10") wider than that.

If the end is closed then you might want to consider one of the narrower versions on that Amazon page to give you wider access.
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-09-17 at 12:23.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I thought that the idea with a wet room is that you don't need a curtain or glass door as the flooring is inclined.

I might be revisiting my designed wet room. It was due to cost £8,500 a year ago. No doubt after the vote on Brexit the pound lost 20% of its value so the price will no doubt be 20% highe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    I thought that the idea with a wet room is that you don't need a curtain or glass door as the flooring is inclined.
    Keeps the toilet seat / bog roll from getting splashed?
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Indeed it does

Our previous house had a wet-room but the bathroom was a lot larger so we had about 1.2m between the curtain and the wall, plenty of room. This bathroom is only 1.65 x 2.0m, the screen would have to only be 1m wide to give 65cm to walk through but I don't think that would stop all of the water getting out. I'd looked at 1.2m which would leave about 450mm, enough to get through sideways?.

I suppose a 1m screen with a curtain nearest the bathroom door (away from the shower fitting) would work. The shower area is very narrow (70cm as the tray isn't allowed to extend past the door frame and they couldn't move the door) and when the shower is running the curtain tends to get sucked into the area and reduces it even further which means it gets onto the side of your body. I had thought of a fixed panel and a sliding door but those are well over twice the price.

I'll have to have a rethink over the weekend
    Last edited by phaedra; 08-09-17 at 17:53.