Thread: New Works and Pensions Secretary.

New Works and Pensions Secretary.

"Chief Treasury Secretary David Gauke has been appointed work and pensions secretary".
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40241229

Just what we need, a penny pinching tax accountant now in charge of the DWP.
    More benefit cuts anyone?

It seems that this guy is not above a bit of profiteering at the taxpayers expense-
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9684...cond-home.html

In 2014 when there was an attempt to scrap the 'Bedroom Tax' Mr Gauk voted to keep it.
    It's believed he was also involved with the plans for the 'Pasty Tax', which of course never made it onto the books.

There again, the way things are at Westminster this week he may not be in the post for very long.
    Last edited by nukecad; 11-06-17 at 18:20.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Ah yes the 'pasty tax'. I perfectly reasonable standardisation of the VAT rules but made out to be a tax on the poor and given a stupid label. So it's fine to tax fish & chips but not a hot take away pasty.

With so much for the Government to do, such as the small subject of Brexit, plus the potential for infighting and overall lack of a majority it be interesting to see what, if anything, significant is going to happen. The social care plan is gone. Winter fuel allowance, which subject to knowing the level, I'm actually in favour of means testing, is something the DUP want to keep. So is the triple pension lock. So maybe we'll see no movement of either.
    Last edited by vantage; 11-06-17 at 19:01.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Quote Originally Posted by vantage View Post
    Ah yes the 'pasty tax'. I perfectly reasonable standardisation of the VAT rules but made out to be a tax on the poor and given a stupid label. So it's fine to tax fish & chips but not a hot take away pasty.

With so much for the Government to do, such as the small subject of Brexit, plus the potential for infighting and overall lack of a majority it be interesting to see what, if anything, significant is going to happen. The social care plan is gone. Winter fuel allowance, which subject to knowing the level, I'm actually in favour of means testing, is something the DUP want to keep. So is the triple pension lock. So maybe we'll see no movement of either.
    I feel little will happen which is bad for country. A strong government, of either colour, is better than a weak one.

Quote Originally Posted by fwipperie View Post
    I feel little will happen which is bad for country. A strong government, of either colour, is better than a weak one.
    A strong government is preferred yes. Although it does depend on how such a mandate is used.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

So it`s "Goodbye Penny Mordant, no Cabinet job for you"...
    To me, she will always be Penelope PIPstop.

and, hopefully, given the hung parliament, we might also be saying about David Gauke
    "and it`s Goodbye from him"

Just another DWP hatchet man.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    "Chief Treasury Secretary David Gauke has been appointed work and pensions secretary".
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40241229

Just what we need, a penny pinching tax accountant now in charge of the DWP.
    More benefit cuts anyone?

It seems that this guy is not above a bit of profiteering at the taxpayers expense-
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9684...cond-home.html

In 2014 when there was an attempt to scrap the 'Bedroom Tax' Mr Gauk voted to keep it.
    It's believed he was also involved with the plans for the 'Pasty Tax', which of course never made it onto the books.

There again, the way things are at Westminster this week he may not be in the post for very long.
    Hopefully not, and the sooner weak and unstable liar & traitor of the 17.4 million that voted to leave the EU May is gone the better, and the coalition with the DUP falls i apart the better, hopefully ukip will see farage return and we will have ukip in office