Thread: Income Support and Carers Allowance

Income Support and Carers Allowance

Hi All,

Hope someone can advise/help on the following circumstances...

I receive PIP Daily Standard rate and my daughter (23 yrs old) cares for me and receives Carers Allowance. She has been looking for a part-time job for several months but has been unsuccessful.

Someone has told me that she may be able to claim Income Support until she finds a job.

Therefore, my question is that can she claim Income Support whilst also receiving Carers Allowance? If yes, then if she gets Income Support, how much will she get and will her Carers Allowance payment be reduced?

Thanks in advance.

I'm a disabled adult on IS and a full time carer for my Autistic adult son so yes is the short answer. You can only claim IS in a limited set of circumstances, if she does qualify this is what she should get.

IS for an adult is currently £73.10, out of that they will remove the £62.70 carers allowance she currently receives (as it's treated as income) but will also add a carers premium of £34.95

So effectively she'll get £45.35 a week IS (£73.10 + £34.95 = £108.05 then - £62.70) plus the £62.70 a week carers allowance she currently gets, so in total it's back to £108.05 a week again

Sounds complicated but that's the way the DWP do things

Hope that makes sense

Guide to IS here, http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Inc...t-Rules-Carers
    Last edited by phaedra; 03-06-17 at 23:15.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    I'm a disabled adult on IS and a full time carer for my Autistic adult son so yes is the short answer. You can only claim IS in a limited set of circumstances, if she does qualify this is what she should get.

IS for an adult is currently £73.10, out of that they will remove the £62.70 carers allowance she currently receives (as it's treated as income) but will also add a carers premium of £34.95

So effectively she'll get £45.35 a week IS (£73.10 + £34.95 = £108.05 then - £62.70) plus the £62.70 a week carers allowance she currently gets, so in total it's back to £108.05 a week again

Sounds complicated but that's the way the DWP do things

Hope that makes sense

Guide to IS here, http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Inc...t-Rules-Carers
    Many thanks for your reply and the information. Just a bit more information as the rates are slightly different...

As mentioned previously, my daughter is 23 yrs and has no disability herself, so her weekly rates would be the following:

Carers Allowance = she gets £62.70
    Income Support would be £57.90 as she is less than 24 yrs old
    Income Support Disability Premium would be £32.55 - is this figure correct?

So, using the above figures (57.90 + 32.55 = 90.45 then - 62.70) plus the 62.70 carers allowance = £90.45 per week - is this correct?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by kmb786 View Post
    Many thanks for your reply and the information. Just a bit more information as the rates are slightly different...

As mentioned previously, my daughter is 23 yrs and has no disability herself, so her weekly rates would be the following:

Carers Allowance = she gets £62.70
    Income Support would be £57.90 as she is less than 24 yrs old
    Income Support Disability Premium would be £32.55 - is this figure correct?

So, using the above figures (57.90 + 32.55 = 90.45 then - 62.70) plus the 62.70 carers allowance = £90.45 per week - is this correct?

Thank you
    Nearly right!

She would not get the IS disability premium. Instead she would get the Carer's Premium which is £34.95.

So, 57.90 + 34.95 = 92.85 then - 62.70 plus the CA 62.70 = 92.85 per week.

Don't you just love maths

Thank you for explaining and yes I definitely hate maths