Thread: Regarding Motoability Scheme

Regarding Motoability Scheme

Hi everyone,

I was wondering about the 'Motability scheme' through PIP. I understand the some vehicle requires an up-front fee.
    Would the fee paid towards the car, would that payment be refunded back to you after 3 years when you give them the car back.

And, Would it be possible to buy the car after 3 years, I assume the company would sell it cheaper since the car is 3 years old.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Colour123 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering about the 'Motability scheme' through PIP. I understand the some vehicle requires an up-front fee.
    Would the fee paid towards the car, would that payment be refunded back to you after 3 years when you give them the car back.

And, Would it be possible to buy the car after 3 years, I assume the company would sell it cheaper since the car is 3 years old.

Thank you
    On some Cars there is an AP, (Advance Payment), this is paid when you sign the Lease Agreement. This payment can be anything from £95 to several Thousand as it depends on the car you wish to lease. There are plenty of cars available with no Advance Payment.

No you do Not get this Payment back at the end of the Lease this AP is for the Dealer not Motability but you will get £250 back from Motability if you return the car in Good Condition. This payment is made regardless if you paid a AP or not.

Just before the end of the lease, about 3 months before, you will receive a letter from Motability advising you that the lease is about to end. If you wish to buy the car then at that time you should contact Motability and ask them for a Price. They then will give you a price and this would be the retail price of a 3 year old car of the type you have. If you agree then you will be able to buy it and they will make sure you will receive it with a full years MOT. You must pay the whole amount in one go.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Colour123 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Thank you
    I understand from other posts that you already have a car.

If you get the high rate of mobility on PIP you can apply for a Motability car. I understand from other posts that you don't have a physical disability but you have a mental impairment but your doctor's think it's safe for you to drive.

Here's a link to the gov.uk about medical issues https://www.gov.uk/asd-and-driving

Your choice of car will be big with many smaller cars needing no deposit. The car will use up all your Mobility award over 3 years. http://www.motability.co.uk/cars-sco...0cars&isAjax=1

Cost about £2,600 a year to lease for trouble free motoring. After 3 years hand the car back - buy it off them or extend the lease for another two years e.g. a 5 year lease. Your insurance also allows you to nominate a named driver for free if they live locally.

Is it worth leasing a car for three years, buying secondhand or using taxis.

It depends on your mileage per year. If you drive about 1000 miles per month then I'd say yes lease.

If you drive about 400 miles a month on average you might find buying a small 6 year old car is better value. Remember you're road tax exempt. Phone Fish car insurance for a competitive car insurance quote. https://www.fishinsurance.co.uk/products/car-insurance/

The downside to buying is yearly depreciation of the car value, you need to service, obtain an MOT and insure it plus get a loan.

I'm still driving my original ex-motabilty car. I extended the lease to five years and then bought it. I got a £450 good car bonus and they serviced and MOT'd it before I bought it off them Six years later I'm still driving it doing about 6000 miles a year - no regrets as it's a fine car but it's value is only £1000 now.

Choices, choices - good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 25-05-17 at 08:45.