Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts with Manchester

Thanks Nukehead,

The Simpleminds concert took place at the very accessible Bridgewater Hall which is just across the road from the Midland Hotel, I visit this concert hall quite a lot and have always felt safe there as it's only a fairly small venue.

At this moment my lodger has gone into our village to attend a tribute to those who lost their lives at the Arena.

I agree
    We have to go about our daily business and not change anything we would normally do

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    As it's a Bank Holiday Weekend and the weather is just beautiful it will attract families into the heart of Manchester.

Organisers had already vowed to go ahead with the Great City Games today, which will see elite athletes compete in a purpose-built arena in Albert Square and a track along Deansgate.

The Great Manchester run is still on this Sunday - it passes around the City Centre. Security has said go ahead as normal with more security in place.

I think that the way to tackle terrorism is to try and live a normal life as usual. If you don't then the terrorist has won.

What's your view.
    I think every time they kill another innocent person they are winning.

Surely I cannot be the only person that hates the statement 'Don't let the terrorists win' yeah right

Not sure what your point is bspm, why would anyone have a problem with the statement don't let terrorists win? surely no one wants them to win, and if people let what they do stops them from doing what they usually would do then surely that would then be a win for them. Obviously it would be better to not have to say these things and for there not to be evil individuals out there who commit such horrid crimes, but they are out there and we don't want them to win to make people be like them. Yes if the government wasn't so concerned about political correctness and stopped all these extremists from being able to chant on our streets, recruit in our colleges and through the internet and realize that it isn't prejudice to stop these people before their ideas take root, that it's not about religion or race it's about an untruth an unjust cause and it needs to be stopped at the start of it's journery not at the middle or the end. Once the people in power relize this and do something about it then there wont be a need to have statements that shouldn't need to be said but have to be for now.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    .....What we all have to watch is that we don't give our civil rights away in the name of "fighting terrorism".

Some threads I've made in the past refer to the "Reichstag Declaration", passed into law in 1920's/30's Germany to combat "Terrorism" - and look what those laws led to.

Realy- Google it and read it, and see how similar it is to some modern political solutions that are being proposed.

I dont know the answer,
    but a lot of what gets talked about is just knee jerk reaction that's been tried before an doesn't work.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...or-legislation
    May: I’ll rip up human rights laws that impede new terror legislation
    And so it begins.

The thin end of the wedge, but once we let them start changing Human Rights laws, when and how they like, then where are they going to stop?

Once you take away Human Rights from any section of society then you have created a class of Untermenschen or inferior people.

How long until the physically and mentaly disabled are classed as 'inferior people' and have all their human rights removed too?
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-06-17 at 22:16.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

So we stand there and be slaughtered, whilst unerringly righteous and pious..............
    To have human rights you have to adhere to the sanctity of the human rights of other first..................Break that code and you are on your own.

Like I say the problem comes when you decide that certain groups of humans have less rights than others.

You can only then justify this by classing them as 'inferior people', or 'sub-human', or whatever similar term you want to use.

History has frequently shown just what happens when you start on this slippery slope.

Once you accept that some groups are 'not fully human' then it gets easier to classify others groups as 'not fully human' as well.

Once you have decided that there are 'not fully humans' you can justify lots of practices - because they are not fully human and so don't count.
    Including, but not limited to:
    Discrimination, segregation, apartheid, slavery, euthanasia, ....the list goes on

All of those practices, and more, have been justified in the past on the grounds that the victims were 'not full human beings'.

And almost every time it's happened it started for what seemed good reasons at the time and then escalated out of hand.

You can extrapolate any such proposition to the point of absurdity, and I do not think the corollary you draw is wholly realistic and treats any different interpretation of HR as a blue touchpaper that will destroy it in it`s entirety, when you are fully aware it is HR that has led to murderous incidents because HR denied any preventative action.

Yes, I know some will say 'You're not being realistic, they are only proposing a small change'.
    And I hope that they are right.

But history shows that these are the same people who turn round later and say "How did we ever let that happen".