Thread: Had home assessment today - terminated after 15 minutes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Had home assessment today - terminated after 15 minutes

I had my home assessment for PIP this morning for severe anxiety and depression. Assessor turned up on time, but I was in a terrible state before she even arrived. My partner answered the door to her, came in introduced herself, she was a mental health nurse. She was gentle, calm and friendly. The build up to this assessment has been horrendous for me. Today when she finally arrived it pushed me right over the edge. I managed to show her my ID and give her the details of the medical treatment I'm currently receiving. That was about it. My partner was here with me, and he spoke to her more than I did. After telling her about my thoughts of self harm (and also telling her I would never kill myself because of my 3 year old and he means the world to me) she said she was going to terminate the assessment. That was 15 minutes in. I was in a terrible state by then. She said she had read my form and had all my medical evidence. She said she should have never been sent to give me an assessment in the first place. I don't know what to think now. I had so many points I wanted to get across, and feel cross with myself and frustrated for not being stronger.

My mind is a mush now and I feel dreadful. This PIP process has been worse than I could ever have imagined and I wouldn't have applied if I'd known how awful it would make me feel. Previously I got DLA after just filling a form in. I think the worst part has been accessing my psychiatric notes myself and reading things in them I never would have seen about the long term prognosis for my condition. The DWP should be getting this information not claimants especially those with severe mental health problems.
    Last edited by BellJar; 18-05-17 at 09:37.