Thread: Are you

Are you

Are you OK? - was the question asked by a concerned young woman as she walked up behind me as I slowly crept along leaning heavily on my crutch.

Yesterday I'd just stopped to fill up with fuel. I pulled up by a petrol pump, opened the drivers door, propped up my crutch on the door while I swung my legs out. Before my feet touch the ground I had two offers to pump petrol in my car. I took the offer up.

coffee bars just ask me to take a seat and like magic my butties and latte turn up unwrapped with coffee in an easy to hold paper cup. They know how I like it.

The newsagents get's my paper and brings it to me and collects the 50p.

Seems like wherever I go I get very good customer service.

Worryingly it goes to show you that my nerve damage is deteriorating and it's obvious to see.

On a light note - I make a stranger's day every day.

I make a strangers day every day

Love it !

Biscuitgazer
    It's my experience that people would like nothing better than to be helpful even if they don't know what to do, and you are so right, lighttouch, it makes their day if they can do anything to help!

Peace and love to all helpful strangers

Everytime I go shopping g I make someone's day , I could do with my own personal shopper to reach me things lol

Hi guys
    Thought I`d share an experience which happened during school holidays.
    I have carers who come twice a day and get my meals and once a week with shopping and to do domestics and cleaning.
    During the school break, my carer arrived to do my domestic. She had her 8 year old daughter in her car. I opened the door and the little girl waved to me and then called to her Mum. I heard her ask "Mum, who`s that?". The carer told her my name and I heard the girl say "and you help him because he can`t do things like carrying shopping or using the vac and you get his breakfast? Poor Steve. I`m glad you can help him"
    This 8 year old girl had more understanding and empathy than my assessor. OK, so shopping and cleaning isn`t in the PIP criteria but preparing and cooking is and, in any case, a child could see why I need support of carers like her Mum. This made my day and made me realise that there are good people out there.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by oimum View Post
    Everytime I go shopping g I make someone's day , I could do with my own personal shopper to reach me things lol
    It's little known but as a disabled person you can ask for an 'assisted shop' - this is known as a 'reasonable adjustment' under the Equality Act.

When I'm in my wheelchair I approach the reception of a well known supermarket. You will be offered a staff member who will load the trolley they push. They will eventually till up your goods and take your shopping to your car - all for free

I always have people asking me if they can help. My neighbours all over 70 often knock on door to ask if i'm still alive or if i need anything it's sweet. I also get people asking me what my health probs are. I've even had 2 different people say you look like you are in a shocking state physically but your manageing to get out i'm having x, y z prob what would you recommend to help me cope with it. When i'm sitting down which i have to do a bit the few times i go out i've had people sit by me and start talking to me and telling me all sorts about their private lives and at end say it's been great talking to you i feel so much better, i don't know why people do it, since i spend 5days aweek in on own it certainly makes life interesting. I like it though i never take offense