Thread: Mandatory Recon (Case closed, no letter sent?)

Mandatory Recon (Case closed, no letter sent?)

Hi everyone, I am very confused and I don't know what to think, so I am posting here hoping that someone may have some advice or information :-)

I will try to keep this short and simple -

I received my PIP decision last month, I was awarded standard rate mobility. I believe I am entitled to enhanced rate mobility and standard rate daily living. I sent back my letter of reconsideration in late March.

I rang them up on Wednesday (April 19th) and was told that the case handler had until April 20th to make a decision. So I rang back up yesterday (April 20th) and asked for the update, I was told at that point that I shouldn't have been told a deadline date and that no letter had been sent out yet.

I rang again just now on the off chance of any new information and the Lady I spoke with told me that the mandatory reconsideration had been closed on the 19th of April, she wasn't sure why and she told me that no letter had been sent out to me yet, but a decision may have been made (she couldn't confirm it however)

I asked her to confirm my next payment, and the amount is the standard mobility amount on May 1st (being paid on the friday before because of the bank holiday)

Is it common for them to close the case and not send letters out? I feel as though this is a bad sign because if the case was closed on April 19th, surely if they had increased my Pip then the payment would be visible on the system and a letter sent out?

Does anybody know if I should just assume I haven't been awarded any more at this stage?

Thank you for reading :-)

It's best to assume nothing - they are completely unpredictable; a law unto themselves.

I think the best thing is to wait to see that your money goes in on May the 1st and see how much it is. I hope for your sake that it will be an increase and they just haven't sent you a letter to say so.

If not, then you may have to appeal, but don't worry about that until after your payment has been made. No matter how much you fret about it, you won't make time move faster.

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on in May.

As for deadlines, the DWP has no deadline to work to, though they may have guidelines as to expected times to make a decision.

Personally I would wait for the letter to arrive, as it will be needed if you decide you still do not agree with the decision they have come to. As without the letter, and decision and reasoning contained in it, you cannot take the matter to a Tribunal, if you were to decide to do so.

As for what they see on the 'screen' at the time, it may not have been updated if the decision has gone in your favour, as different people and departments within the DWP and agents, work on PIP, and it can take time to go from one to the other. Not forgetting there has just been a bank holiday and other holidays, so things may be a little slower at the moment.

Hi Sky and mzmps,

Thank you :-) it is very good to know that it isn't necessarily a bad sign.

I will keep waiting patiently and update here with what the outcome is :-)

I rang up again today, and the Lady told me that she can see that a 'task' is still open on it and no decision been made yet. This contradictions what I was told on Friday.

It's crazy that they don't seem to know whats going on their end.

The crazy thing is, I was awarded 6 points for daily living, and needed another 2 to be awarded standard rate (The rate that I believe I am entitled to) one of the definitions in my award he got wrong. He said I needed 'prompting' to communicate with other people, but I don't need prompting, I do however need the social support of my Mum (Social support awards 4 points). I did explain this in my letter so I am hoping that I have been understood.

There was also a few other things I disagreed with on my award letter.

I have read so many stories though, and I am expecting this not to go in my favor at this stage.

OK. Reality check, Most MR's result in no change of award. Have you requested a copy of the report (PA4)? If not, then that is your next step. Do so in writing and by phone. Even if you recieve the award you deserve it is a usefull document to add to your file.
    Anything expressed is my opinion only and is offered in good faith. It is either from my own experiance or what I have learned on my journey. Take it for what it is or leave it alone. With best wishes D.

Hi David,

I did read last night that only 15% of MRs result in a change in award, so I know the odds are stacked completely against it.

I haven't requested a copy of the ATOS report as of yet, do you know how to go about that? Do I need to contact the DWP or Atos?

Hello Songbird

You need to contact the DWP to get a copy of the assessors report.

Their telephone number should be on any PIP letters you have received recently.

Good luck.

I've now requested my report over the telephone (I was told it takes 7-10 days to reach me) I will also request via post :-)

Thank you.