Thread: Oramorph...!

Oramorph...!

Hi All, Am after general advice with regard to recent need to be prescribed above for breakthrough pain. Although have been on Zomorph 90mg AM & PM for some years, 1st timer using Oramorph, so looking for Oramorph ‘veterans’!

Recently diagnosed with relapse classic hodgkins lymphoma (stage 2b), in parts of same areas as originally diagnosed in 2000 (will be expanding on new diagnosis in separate post/different advice sought)! Although extremely rare for pain to be associated in circumstances, suffered/ing absolute unbearable pain in both groins (inguinal nodes, group below at top of inner thighs & those nodes above inguinal at pelvic area).

Just over 2 weeks ago prescribed by my GP Oramorph 10ml/5mg (1st bottle 100ml). Advised 5 mls every 4 hrs as & when required. This wasn’t really touching the pain & due to frequency of need (bearing in mind Easter weekend) had to phone GP’s for further script explaining frequency. Collected script, which this time was for a 300ml bottle, but with new instructions 5-10 mls as & when required.

So, today seen radiotherapy team for ‘measuring up’ & receive my marker ‘tattoos’! Also spoke with Cons Oncologist/Radiotherapist who also confirmed, due to Zomorph medication history, that I should be taking at least 15mls (not 5mls or 5-10mls) with potential for increase, for breakthrough pain.

As level of pain causing high levels sleep deprivation (much more than normal as have been used to sleepless nights/2-3 hours a night for many years) also meds (Zomorph, Zapain, Meptazinol) and also advised try taking single paracetamol, at same time to assist Zomorph. Even 10mls at night only giving max of 4 hours sleep, waking in almost paralysing pain.
    Am wondering, upto now having not suffered any side effects, but have also been quite ‘conservative’ (dirty word!) when needing to take, & wondering how the jump from past 2 weeks doses to new level may affect me? Daily totals of doses ‘til now have been 10mls increased to, I think, 30 mls on my very worst day.

All answers from experienced and non ‘users’, appreciated. Many thanks.

I was on oramorph I called it raspberry syrup lol but I couldn't stand the taste and switched to the tablet form oxynorm 10mg which I take up to 2 every 2 hours or when needed, I also feel they work better than the syrup but some consultants argue and say it's just the tablet form, sorry to hear about the lymphoma has returned I hope you feel better soon and find something to ease your pain

Beth x

Hi Blastoff (Beth), TY for reply & kind comments. Also found the taste to be too sweet, & this is from somebody who has a real sweet tooth. So, opted for and now use syringe, whic is much better for 'delivery'. Tried 15mls last night for 1st time on its own, maybe 1 & 1/2 hours after taking Zomorph & other meds, and probably most successful sleep for months. Woke 5 hours later but not in as much pain as previously, but still in pain. However, hopefully, this is sign of things to come as pain management/breakthrough pain concerned, & will update as necessary.

Also received call from GP surgery letting me know that the team I saw yesterday had faxed through request for additional prescription. Picked it up earlier and now bottle size increased to 500ml. Again, many thanks Beth.

My GP put me on Oramorph a few weeks ago, to supplement 4x Codeine & 8x Tramadol. First dosage was 2.5ml 4 times a day, now increased to 5ml but still not really helping much. He seems very reluctant to increase the dosage or put it on repeat prescription despite saying I need it.

I've tried to be very sparing with it, it's only in 100ml bottles so 4x 5ml would only last 5 days!.