Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: General Election 8th June

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    That's the thing that bugs me about what they are trying on now.

The European Court of Justice was never mentioned in the referendum.

It is not part of the European Union, it is an international court totally seperate from the EU.

Single Market, Customs, etc. we voted to leave them.
    But not the ECJ it was never mentioned.

Of course this government has been ignoring it's judgenents anyway when it doesn't like them.
    The ECJ is part of the EU. Are you thinking of the European Court of Human Rights? This isn't part of the EU and, whilst people have talked about leaving it no one has stated it as policy.

If we don't leave the ECJ then we aren't leaving the EU. But we're not leaving the ECHR
    Last edited by vantage; 19-04-17 at 17:57.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Quote Originally Posted by Archersmate View Post
    If you don't vote you can't moan, I've said this for the last 30 years or more, I would rather throw my vote away on an outsider than not vote in a general election.

I live in a ward that has been gentrified, the last election we went from Tory to labour but I think it's likely it'll go back to Tory.

My biggest fear is what's up the sleeves of the Tories? We know there will be further cuts to welfare, but what will they be? Increasing the bedroom tax? Further changes to ESA? Means testing benefits that aren't currently means tested? Like PIP, ESA support grou? Reducing the benefit cap again?

We know it's unlikely that the Tories will stop hounding the less fortunate and start hounding those greedy tax dodging corporations.
    I agree with you.

One thing that I fear they will do, is means test PIP/DLA.

Quote Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
    I don't want the tory self servants in office for another 5 yrs either, i ain't a tory supporter, I do not trust May she is a stooge and a traitor and will not deliver the brexit 17.4 million people voted for, Remaining in the EU with the same rules and laws in place we will meet our demise , our race culture will cease to be
    What is 'our race culture' please?

UKIP are exactly the same as the tories, most were beforehand, but are just more unreliable and, it appears very aggressive towards each other and have a lot of literal infighting.

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    What is 'our race culture' please?

UKIP are exactly the same as the tories, most were beforehand, but are just more unreliable and, it appears very aggressive towards each other and have a lot of literal infighting.

Unlike the Labour party who all get on like a house on fire................

Quote Originally Posted by vantage View Post
    The ECJ is part of the EU. Are you thinking of the European Court of Human Rights? This isn't part of the EU and, whilst people have talked about leaving it no one has stated it as policy.

If we don't leave the ECJ then we aren't leaving the EU. But we're not leaving the ECHR
    My apologies,

Yes I have got that wrong, it's the Court of Human Rights that they keep ignoring.

But the ECJ was still never mentioned in the referendum, except under the broad umbrella of "The EU".

In my defence this government keep mixing the 2 up as well in their press propaganda.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

No worries Nukecad.

Not to rerun the whole Brexit thing again but leaving the ECJ was mentioned, and is was at least implicit as why would you leave one organise but agree to abide with its highest court but have no say in that court. But, that was the problem with the referendum, people didn't educate themselves on the facts. Not that I'm suggesting that of yourself but more generally.

Anyway, not unsurprisingly the vote was won today and as the saying goes 'the game is afoot', or rather it will be when the Queen officially dissolves Parliament. Interestingly due to the Fixed-term Parliament Act there are 25 days until polling day rather then the usual 17!!
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

The PM`s call for a General Election had an effect on the debate, scheduled for today (Wed 19 April 2017) which had been granted by the Speaker of the House of Commons to Debbies Abrahams, the shadow Minister, who was to debate and get a vote on the Mobility part of PIP for those with menatl health issues.
    Debbie Abrahams wrote in her twitter page:
    "Because of yday`s #GE17 announcement & debate to end Fixed Term Parliament Act, I`m afraid the Govt has pulled today`s #PIPdebate #NoPIPcuts"

JC Has been portrayed badly by the press because the rich are scared he will get in, he is the most genuine politician I have ever known and I will be most certainly be voting for him... if you dislike him although I can't see why, he wants to help us, vote labour anyway, it's the only way you will get the Tories out, don't not vote or vote lib dem because they have already said," they will form a coalition with the Tories again.

I'm not especially political and I reckon the parties will promise all sorts until they get in. However speculation is not helpful and to say DLA/PIP may be means tested when it's not been mentioned is just causing worry to people who are already stressed out dealing with DWP.
    Anyway any such changes nearly always apply to new claimants only.

Quote Originally Posted by angry View Post
    I'm not especially political and I reckon the parties will promise all sorts until they get in. However speculation is not helpful and to say DLA/PIP may be means tested when it's not been mentioned is just causing worry to people who are already stressed out dealing with DWP.
    Anyway any such changes nearly always apply to new claimants only.
    Well said, curb some of the unneeded scare-mongering that some seem to thrive on. Why do folk sometimes think they are doing vulnerable members a favour by posting unfounded hyperbole? I am sure there are many far more constructive ways they could use their time.
    And as far as "nasty" parties, I seem to remember the Limp Dims falling over themselves to justify benefit cuts whilst in coalition, while at the same time not a peep was heard from the Labour ranks..............They can all sniff easy blood and hold no illusions about any reluctance to squeeze the weakest, so please, no more glazed eyed simperings about how wonderful JC understands us all, and is our saviour in waiting. He changes his mind one day to the next, often not remembering what he said the day before...........Let the poor man go to his dotage in the allotment.