Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Universal Credit and Carers - and attending work focused interrviews

Universal Credit and Carers allowance - and attending work focused interrviews

I am caring for a cousin who is 11 and applied for carers allowance a couple of weeks ago, and then applied for Universal credit (as income support is no longer available in my postcode)
    I was asked to collect a security pin from the local Jobcenter

After this I have now been sent a email asking me to attended a meeting at the local jobcentre, the email does not state what the meeting is.

I logged in online to my universal credit and it shows information about work focused interviews in to do list .

I thought as a carer i did not have to attend these?

No conditionality

People in this group have no work condition as they are not considered to be able to work at all. This includes people with a disability or health condition which prevents them from working or who are carers, lone parents or the primary carer for a child under the age of one.
    http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/universal-credit

I have told them I am not available for work due to being a carer. I cannot deal with the stress of attending these meeting for no reason as I am a carer caring more than 35 hours and I am not looking for work.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am still waiting on carers allowance ( the person I care for gets High rate Care DLA) so I imagine that the carers allowance is automatic?,

Any guidance on this WFI and attending or not attending and rules?, and letter I could send?

Is there an email address that I can send an email to stating that I cannot attend due to caring?

I found this info too:

"Carer element in Universal Credit

If you claim Universal Credit you may qualify for more extra money if you are a carer, called the carer element. This is part of the calculation that works out how much money you are entitled to and is added to the other amounts.

You don’t need to claim Carer’s Allowance to get the carer element but you must meet all the conditions for it, although you can earn more than £110 per week.

What is a claimant commitment?

If you claim Universal Credit you need to promise to do certain tasks - this is called a claimant commitment. What you need to agree to will depend on you, the person you care for, and how much help you need if you are looking for work. If you don’t stick to this agreement your Universal Credit may be stopped.

Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is not being replaced by Universal Credit. It is completely separate.

However, the amount of Universal Credit you get may be affected by your Carer's Allowance, see how Carer’s Allowance affects other benefits.

If you claim Carer’s Allowance you don’t have to comply with any Universal Credit job seeking or work conditions, but your partner may have to.
    "
    https://carers.org/article/universal-credit

Thank you
    Last edited by toweruk; 15-04-17 at 13:24.

I had a similar thing a few years back, apart from my own problems I'm also the sole full time carer for my Autistic adult son. The interview was to see if they could do anything to help me find work, even part time. I simply explained that apart from my own medical conditions preventing me from doing this caring full time for my son meant it simply wasn't a viable option. They said that was fine they just had to ask, haven't heard from them since.

Ok Thank you.

I was concerned as I read that they ask many questions and try and get you to agree to getting support for looking for work.

I was thinking of not attending as I have to care for my cousin who has ASD

Well the rule you quote says you have to have a disability and be a carer, - or - be primary carer for a child under the age of one.

You do not seem to fit these and so would seem to be subject to mandatory WFI's.
    Which means your benefit could be stopped if you don't go.

But no, they can't make you look for or apply for jobs if you get CA or UC-CE.

Many people who are unable to work still have to attend mandatory WFI's, e.g. those on ESA WRAG.

You can claim Carers Allowance and UC Carers Element at the same time, but payment of Carers Allowance is classed as income and so reduces the amount of UC paid.

Claiming CA or UC-CE can affect any benefits claimed by the person you are caring for.

For more information about Universal Credit for Carers see this:
    http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-adv...iversal-credit
    Last edited by nukecad; 15-04-17 at 13:43.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Not attending isn't a good idea, it will only cause further problems.

I don't think they'd accept caring for your cousin as a valid reason for non-attendance, as your cousin is 11 they'd expect them to be in school during the day so not requiring you to be with them.

When I first started caring in 2002, I had to attend the job centre once or twice with regards to things I could do whilst caring which would prepare me for work. At the time I was offered a scheme whereby I could run a small business from home and I got to keep the running costs of the business but all profits were retained by the DWP until I ceased being a carer and I could then access it.

Strangely, when I went back some time later to look into it again, I was told the scheme never existed. Hmmmmmm......

I stopped being a full time carer in 2012 so things may have changed. They once sent me a similar letter saying I had to look for work and attend an interview at the job centre. I telephoned and told them I was a FT carer and they apologised, said it was a mistake and that was the last I heard.

HOWEVER....I had been receiving carers allowance for a number of years by this stage. You have only just applied. I was also on Income Support.

Bearing this in mind I would agree that should go to this interview. I wouldn't worry about it. Be confident, stick to your guns and just play the broken record. You are too tired to consider working. Your charge wakes you during the night which would put any employment at risk through lack of sleep. You need to be at home 24/7 due to the nature of your charges illness, etc. But if they offer you funding for any adult online education look into it. It might give you something else to focus on for you.

I found this
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...rs_required_to

Having struggled and made myself permanently ill through caring, I don't envy anyone going through this now. I have to count myself very lucky I had just finished caring when the bedroom tax came in and when all budgets were severely slashed.

Good luck and keep us informed.

I just sat and wrote a reply and it's disappeared!

Yes go to the JobCentre. When you first apply for CA they call you in to see what work you could do. If you can't work just say you can't and why.

I officially was my mum's carer from 2002 - 2012, unofficially much longer. Not a chance could I have worked. It's made me permanently ill. I don't envy you.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    Not attending isn't a good idea, it will only cause further problems.

I don't think they'd accept caring for your cousin as a valid reason for non-attendance, as your cousin is 11 they'd expect them to be in school during the day so not requiring you to be with them.
    They are not in school

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Well the rule you quote says you have to have a disability and be a carer, - or - be primary carer for a child under the age of one.

You do not seem to fit these and so would seem to be subject to mandatory WFI's.
    Which means your benefit could be stopped if you don't go.

But no, they can't make you look for or apply for jobs if you get CA or UC-CE.

Many people who are unable to work still have to attend mandatory WFI's, e.g. those on ESA WRAG.

You can claim Carers Allowance and UC Carers Element at the same time, but payment of Carers Allowance is classed as income and so reduces the amount of UC paid.

Claiming CA or UC-CE can affect any benefits claimed by the person you are caring for.

For more information about Universal Credit for Carers see this:
    http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-adv...iversal-credit
    No it says "This includes people with a disability or health condition which prevents them from working or who are carers"

That means either have a disability or you are a carer.

I think if you get universal credit and CE without carers allowance you have to have a work commitment signed.

But if you get carers allowance you have no requirment.

My question was that I have applied for carers allowance but the UC are not recognising that I am a carer and looking for work.

You are not a carer til they grant you CA. I had a similar call in when I first applied.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...rs_required_to

http://www.helpandcare.org.uk/factsh...ed-interviews/

Until you are officially a carer by getting CA you have to attend else your benefit will be affected.