Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First outing

First outing

On my wheelchair......not finding it easy to accept I have come to this........But .
    Anyway, going to Beverley Minster, there is an exhibition there by our niece, Janey.I will post a link, because picture better than a thousand words etc.

http://janebeharrell.com/

Good luck stree. I am desperate not to get a chair too so understand your feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by stree View Post
    Anyway, going to Beverley Minster, there is an exhibition there by our niece, Janey.I will post a link, because picture better than a thousand words etc.

http://janebeharrell.com/
    She looks very talented. I like the painting of the violin and oranges - very lifelike.

One word WOW. She is one very talented lady

It is a hard transition, but don't let it get you down. If you do, that frustration will turn to anger and it will make things worse.

I just pretend to be a really lazy couch potato who can't be bothered to get out of his chair, so I take it with me.

Sky, oh it will not get me down, takes more than that, just stops you short a bit realising the options are reducing, that is all.
    Had a good day, bloody awful ride in the chair though, block paved, braille bumps at crossings, etc. Transit chair with tiny wheels, so feels like an earthquake going over a stray hair.........But at least it folds up and goes in a bag and weighs very little, so very handy.

Glad to hear it; that's the spirit.

Now you just need to get rid of the boneshaker that will rattle out your fillings and give you spinal compression, and get yourself a decent chair.

Glad you had a good day apart from the lumps and bumps.

Well, considered a "big wheel" chair...........but......tend to be heavy and bulky, not easy or simple to get in and out of the car, more expensive of course, plus I am not able to use it to propel myself anyway, so still depend on someone else......
    I have a decent scooter quite large, that I can get in the car, even by myself at a pinch, and I use this for off road, rural tracks and parks etc apart from just around the village, so between that and the chair I would rather the scooter and the chair just for occasional use.
    At least I have a modicum of independence with the scooter and that is valuable to me of course. Plus I have fun modifying the scooter.......USB ports, phone holder, sat nav, spotlights, so something to fiddle with!
    Plus of course I get round the garden on it, up to the greenhouse, the chicken run, rabbit house and the flower baskets at the front, so a gardening aid as well....Even tied a rope to the back and used it for pulling out a sapling in the wrong place!

I've been using scooters for the last four years outdoors, but have used a powerchair indoors.

The big, road legal scooters are OK, but the small pavement scooters are dreadful. They caused me almost as much pain as walking. I have a TGA Breeze 4 which is great for country tracks, around town and bumping up and down kerbs. Also, the suspension is good for the dreadful roads I have to put up with. The trouble is that you can't take them into the majority of shops or buildings. Also, you can't use them on buses, trains etc.

I got a Puma 40 powerchair a few months ago and it has changed my life. It has good suspension, is comfortable and gives me support in the places I need it. A huge bonus is that I can take it on the bus and into shops and pubs etc. as and when I'm feeling up to it - not that often sadly, but it does happen occasionally.

Have a great time Stree. Those paintings are amazing! I love art!

TK