Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First outing

Not my paintings! My niece.

I know the transition isn't easy. In fact it's bloody difficult (sorry about the language).

I've gone from walking, walking badly, using a cane (a very fine cane I must add), using a manual chair and now a powerchair. I was very stubborn at every stage. However, I know the wheelchair opened up opportunities I didn't have, or could take, previously. I'm more independent now than I was previously. Not in ever aspect. In some areas I've lost, in some I've gained.

With my condition I can't reverse the loss of mobility. I can either live with it and maximise the opportunities or let it define me.

I've been across the US. Enjoyed holidays both here in the U.K. and across Europe. I work full time and travel on business. Realistically I couldn't do that without the transition to a wheelchair, and I love doing all that.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Not sure a chair could manage the nature reserve trails I like to take............Happier on 4 wheels. I know there is a lot that can be done to improve even the best of power chairs, I often read this chaps page and have asked him for advice on modding scooters. Well worth a read.
    http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/

Biscuitgazer
    I can't manage a self-propelled chair, I have to either be pushed (by my mother, usually) or use a powerchair, which is what I have now as it beats being a passenger in my own life!

As the wheelchair pusher, my mother said she preferred the self-propelled (harhar) chair to the transit chair. That same bumpy pavement that I found uncomfortable under the transit chair, my mother found hard to push the chair over, for the same reason. The big wheeled chair was more comfortable for me and easier for her. She also has to put whatever chair I use into the boot and would still prefer the big-wheel chair.