Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National grid?

National grid?

Hi all,

We've been notified national grid are coming to inspect the gas pipes in our large council tower block!

Anyone else had this? Was there a sting in the tail?

My nasty suspicious mind is working overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Archersmate View Post
    Hi all,

We've been notified national grid are coming to inspect the gas pipes in our large council tower block!

Anyone else had this? Was there a sting in the tail?

My nasty suspicious mind is working overtime.
    I'm asking because, I've lived here for decades and they've never been before, so this inspection isn't regular, neither is it routine. However, our estate is occupying land that could be used to build 1500 high end flats or more! And is located in an up and coming area. If our gas pipes were declared unsafe the council would be justified in demolishing our flats.

We all know councils are strapped for cash don't we?

Sometimes there really is a conspiracy.

In all rented property the landlord is responsible for having an annual gas safety inspection carried out and getting a Gas Safety Certificate issued.
    This covers all appliances and pipework within the rented property.

In blocks of flats where there will be pipework, and possibly appliances, in communal areas these also need to be covered by a seperate GSC for the communal areas. (ie. any pipework not within a particular flat, communal heating boilers in a boiler house, etc.).

Many councils and housing associations have been neglecting these inspections.
    http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/socia...02604.article#

Of course if there are any problems found they may just remove the gas supply altogether, it's been done before.
    http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/...lies_for_good/
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-04-17 at 12:24.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

In addition to Nukecad,

Having been involved with British Gas, sometime back, not only will suppliers or agents check, gas and electricity meters, but there will be checks, servicing and surveys done to check condition of the whole supply chain. That's why at times you will see helicopters flying along the side of electricity pylons and lines, occasionally with men in cradles hanging off them.

Gas pipes a little different, mostly underground with the occasional bridge over rivers, where you see random pipe appearing at the edge of field, going over river and then back underground. With the affect that escaping gas could have, it is no surprise that they check from time to time, mostly just normal check and nothing to worry about. Theft of piping can be a problem as well, when they do come up to ground level.

Mz

Ok, I need to explain a bit more.

My estate has over 500 homes together with large car parks, landscaped areas and wide pavements.

Three years ago or so, the council put cages round the bottom of the towers, residents were told that bits were falling off because of concrete fatigue, however everyone who lives here that I've spoken to have said the same "I've not seen anything and nobody I've spoken to has either" but..... One of my former neighbours was an engineer who worked on the building of these flats and told me that they were built to a very high spec' much higher than other tower blocks so were unlikely to deteriorate.

The council have informed us some time ago that they will be cladding the blocks to preserve them, the work was scheduled to happen 2017. We've heard nothing since.

This entire post code is under a continued regeneration, 1000s of high end apartments either have been built or have been given permission.

This spot is, from a property developers perspective, prime redevelopment land (if they could just get rid of those poxy tower blocks)

Now maybe you understand my suspicious mind.

Sometimes there really is a conspiracy!

Something like this?
    http://www.rockpanel.co.uk/reference...d+woods+estate

Of course if they are refurbishing the buildings then they will be looking to refurbish as much as possible, not just the cladding.
    It would make sense to get any other work needed checked/done first so they don't have to start damaging the newly installed cladding.

Why not just ask the council when the cladding work is going to start?

Start with your local councilor(s), their contact details will be on the council website.

Failing that a freedom of information request should get their answer within 20 days.
    Lots of people use this site as an easy way to make FOI's:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/help/requesting

Yeah, I understand what you're thinking, perhaps they'll also deal with the damp, the upvc windows that don't fit properly and are badly designed (at least they keep the damp down in some flats) and the cockroaches!

Something tells me that's not gonna happen, but ya never know miracles supposedly do happen.

Well if they are going to knock it down a sell the land at least they have to offer you another place.

Who knows you might get offered a newly built one?

[QUOTE=nukecad;126401]Well if they are going to knock it down a sell the land at least they have to offer you another place.

Who knows you might get offered a newly built one?[/QUOTE

Fingers crossed ground floor only suitable for someone with a disability (my ms nurse has said she'd back me up)

As you're in a property hot spot I guess the flats are easy to rent out.

Most Councils gave there properties to new Registered Social Landlords. Once these new RSLs were set up the Government released funds to upgrade the properties and bring them into the 21st Century.

Multi-storeys under-went a 'programme of works' renewing windows, bathrooms and kitchens plus central heating.

You might find that the National Grid might be changing the gas/electric meters Or are adding solar panels or new underfloor heating.

Time will tell!