Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buses and Wheelchairs

Spare thought for the bus driver too. On occasions the bus cannot pull up to the kerb properly, cars parked indiscriminately, even though there are painted markings on the road. I have never seen action taken against these car owners in all the years I was a bus driver.

I have also have problems getting on and off buses but I do appreciate that drivers cannot always get near enough to the kerb because of parked vehicles. In that case I have gone on to the next stop so long as it is not too far away. I do find that they are reluctant to get the ramp out though.
    Near us, in a bus layby close to a school that was always full of cars at school times, the parking wardens spent a couple of days ticketing cars after I had complained because I had fallen trying to get off. Never had a problem since.

[B]Other vehicles parked near the bus stop was not the problem in these instances.

Only last month a lady from our village stopped and told me about an incident on a bus she was on. She herself had reported the driver as she told me he had been rude (and nasty banging his cab door shut after he had needed to get out to see to the ramp ).

She asked what my daughter looked like as she thought it may have been her and her support worker who were at the brunt of this.

I asked my daughter if it was her and she told me yes it was - but had given up reporting drivers like this as nothing changed.

Obviously not all drivers are the same - there are some helpful pleasant ones as well.
    [/B]
    Sea Queen

In the past I have come across quite a few ignorant drivers who have made hurtful remarks.
    I have had fellow passengers remark to me about their reluctance to get out of the cab and get the ramp out.
    I find the younger drivers more helpful than the older ones.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    In the past I have come across quite a few ignorant drivers who have made hurtful remarks.
    I have had fellow passengers remark to me about their reluctance to get out of the cab and get the ramp out.
    I find the younger drivers more helpful than the older ones.
    Believe me there are a lot of ignorant passengers who make hurtful remarks to the driver as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gus607 View Post
    Believe me there are a lot of ignorant passengers who make hurtful remarks to the driver as well.
    Yes I realise that too, to work in a public service can be most unrewarding. That is why I always make a point of saying thank you to the driver when I get off. They are doing a job and are not there to be abused just as passengers are not to be abused.
    I have had hurtful comments made by passengers too.

Well, thankfully I've only encountered this one bad driver. All of the others have been very polite and helpful and some have even been quite chatty - especially the female ones.

I can imagine it would drive any driver nuts if they had to keep getting out of their cab all day long to manually lay down the ramp. I should imagine that's why city buses have electric ones instead of the manual ones we have where I live. A 'raspberry' is a rare sight around here and some people find me a bit of a novelty I think; especially as I have a really gorgeous Assistance Dog.

Either way, whether you like doing a job or not; there is no reason to be rude to your customers.

I never had a problem with disabled / OAPs. It was the le bodied drunks on a weekend night out who were the most troublesome, including the women as well !!!

Ah yes, I encountered that quite early on in my new found adventures. It's always been the case of course, but I think each generation seems to become more obnoxious than the last.

On the bus the other night, I missed my 2215 and had to get the later at 2330 - wow what a difference. All the kids were smoking and shouting upstairs and making a right din. I really felt for the driver; he must have wanted to go up and wring their bloody necks - I know I did.

Anyway, lesson learned: Never get on a bus after the pubs have tipped out.

I shall always make sure I get one before 2200 from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    ...but I think each generation seems to become more obnoxious than the last.
    Welcome to the 'grumpy old ***** club'.

Our grandparents used to think the same about us. LOL.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.