Thread: why do people presume

why do people presume

well today i went to the disabled persons toilet, i have hidden disabilities and well as a weak side which is obvious to most people.

I do try and used the able bodied loos when i can but this time i had no choice,
    When i came out i had this woman giving me such a blacklook [she had an inhaler in her hand]and was in some difficulty breathing.I could well have said something and half of me wishes i had but i walked away.
    How dare these people think just because you are not in a wheelchair you don't need the facilities a disabled toilet as,eg room to move and wash your hands.Perhaps needing the rails to help you on and off the loo.

I do try and think of others but some people just think if they can't see a physical condition then there's nothing wrong with you.
    pam

Inhalers don't make me laugh it hurts . Half of them carry their kids &/or grandkids inhalers around most of it because they have a blue badge in the car yet no disabled tax disc

From what i understand disabled toilets are not only for disabled users but are disabled friendly.I too have problems that are not visable and sometimes get black looks which i return but if i hear a nasty comment i turn the tables on them and embarrass them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Inhalers don't make me laugh it hurts . Half of them carry their kids &/or grandkids inhalers around most of it because they have a blue badge in the car yet no disabled tax disc
    I do not have a disabled tax disc in one of my cars, yet I am entitled to the Blue badge (and HRMC) so am I not disabled then Stig?

I have a "Radar Key" and when using the loos you should see the bad looks I get.

I use a walking stick, which is ironic as what I do cannot be called walking, lol. I have had people make comments to me when I have used disabled toilets, report me. I have had staff challenge me. When Leeds Market was upgraded I had such trouble getting to use the disabled loo, I was told I was not disabled, or that it was for disabled people, or people in wheelchairs. I too need to use the handrails, & I do not carry a walking stick becuase it is fashionable.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

2 points here. I have a Blue Badge, but not a disabled tax disc. My choice. It doesn't mean I'm not genuine.
    I also get told I'm not disabled because I use calipers and crutches and not a wheelchair. If that's not disabled, what is?

Quote Originally Posted by pam s View Post
    well today i went to the disabled persons toilet, i have hidden disabilities and well as a weak side which is obvious to most people.

I do try and used the able bodied loos when i can but this time i had no choice,
    When i came out i had this woman giving me such a blacklook [she had an inhaler in her hand]and was in some difficulty breathing.I could well have said something and half of me wishes i had but i walked away.
    How dare these people think just because you are not in a wheelchair you don't need the facilities a disabled toilet as,eg room to move and wash your hands.Perhaps needing the rails to help you on and off the loo.

I do try and think of others but some people just think if they can't see a physical condition then there's nothing wrong with you.
    pam

Oh dear, this and other posts are doing exactly what the heading of these posts say, PRESUMING!!!

You say the lady had an inhaler in her bag and had trouble breathing? She could have had a serious lung disease!"

And Stig? how on earth can you PRESUME "Half of them carry their kids &/or grandkids inhalers around most of it because they have a blue badge in the car yet no disabled tax disc" !!!!

You have a problem differentiating between defending and OFFending!
    Last edited by Jay; 24-07-12 at 16:12.

I noticed a post describing them as disabled toilets - does that mean they don't work?

In coffee shops like Costa you usually find the accessible loo doubles up as the baby changing room too.

Another thing that annoys me is how the cleaners tie the red pull cord up so they don't accidentally pull it when mopping up - fine. But they never untie it. A lot of use a pull cord is if you've fallen off the loo and it'stied up two feet above you! The number of times I highlight this issue and it goes in one ear and out the other.

Today, after cycling, I visited Tesco wearing just shorts, t-shirt ad trainers for a latte and paper read. As I was approaching the accessible loo a young woman ran up to offer a hand to open the door saying 'do you need any help' and giving me a sweet smile too. I have to smile and say 'no, thanks, I'll manage' I definitely don't have an invisible disability - limp, drop foot, twisted spine, elbow crutch ad the other arm hangs limp due to nerve damage in neck. I don't need a PA - the public act as my PA wherever I go. If it makes them feel good why not. Everybody is happy.