Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: PIP Claim Tome Arrived today

I photocopied my form and did a draft on it. Now I am going to make another blank copy and put all the sentences in order as I have just noted things down as I have remembered them.
    The problem is that you do things in a certain way and with a struggle that it becomes the norm for you so it is easy to forget to note it on the claim form

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuitgazer View Post
    I found a mock form and planned what I will say for each question, typed ready for the form when it comes. I'll have to use extra printed pages for all the questions, as I can't really write, only glide-type. I will need the CAB, specifically to look at whether I've put in enough detail. It looks like enough detail to me, but then I can fill in any gaps, as I'm very understanding about my own problems
    It's depressing, concentrating on that stuff.
    Good luck with your applications, folks! XX
    Most people understand their own problems so well that they forget the adaptations and coping mechanisms they have in place. When making a PIP application, try and dismiss all these things and start from scratch. The temptation is to concentrate on what your conditions are, as we did with DLA, and back it up with medical evidence.

DWP do not care what is the matter with you, what your medical, physical or mental state is, is unimportant. For the purpose of PIP, the DWP are only interested in how your condition affects your ability to perform everyday activities. All the letters from doctors etc. and all the concentration to detail will not on its own, give you a proper PIP award. These things are only useful to back up your case but will not prove it.

You need to concentrate on why you can't do things, what happens when you try, what help or assistance you get, can you do these things reliably, repeatedly, as often as is necessary, safely and in a timely fashion. You will not score points for saying that you do not do something, or that someone else does it for you.

PIP is about helping you to do the activity for yourself, to the best of your ability, and what, aid help or assistance you need for the best outcome

Sorry if this sounds harsh, I have seen to many people lose awards by concentrating on their problems, not the solution.

That's exactly my problem, I only know being me and I don't ever think about how I do things. I find it very difficult to explain it clearly for some reason, and if I'm honest, upsetting to have to describe it all.

Now 3 weeks since I made my first PIP phone call, and I still don't have a form. Form number 2 is apparently on its way now.... Never had any post go missing before to my address.

You have my sympathy Beau, I don't have difficulty with remembering things, but I'm finding this difficult. I've also made notes under headings which need joining up into something sensible. My handwriting is poor, and difficult to read, so I'm going to follow Flymo's example and send printed info with stickers on each page of the form saying "Please see ...". I've got a couple of degrees and written several dissertations/ very long documents. I know which I'd rather be doing!! Probably exaggerating, but that's how it feels.

Really hope you can get some professional help in time, is there also anyone who knows you well who could look at your form and perhaps see if you've missed anything? Easy to miss the obvious I think when you're used to how you do things.
    Last edited by Fliss; 19-03-17 at 09:43.

One of the most difficult and often embarassing things that you can do, is talk to close friends and family where possible. Often other people will see better than us the things we do different. If you can get letters from these people, describing how you cope (or don't), what you do and how you do it, this could act as evidence to support your claim. It will feel uncomfortable for you and them, but could also give you both a better understanding.

I'll be honest, I found this very distressing to do. I typed all my answers on extra pages as I have difficulty writing with my bad arm. I added 10 extra pages. 10. And having to go into such detail was embarrassing, and very upsetting. Having been able bodied and very fit up til 10 years ago, explaining things about difficulties with personal hygiene and stuff makes you realise how much you are not really coping with.

I think it took me about 3 weeks to manage to do the form and extra pages and go back to it several times because I had forgotten stuff.

My carer is going to write a support letter for me. TBH I really rely on her an awful lot, much more than my pride likes. As for hubby, he just doesn't get it. So long as he is looked after he is not bothered how it is done.

I am and always have been, a very independent person, even before I became disabled. I now try so very hard to be independent often to my own detriment. Ending up on the floor, then I can't get up, or in dreadful pain.
    Last edited by beau; 19-03-17 at 09:56.

Same here Beau. I hate this so much. Very frustrating.

My carer has written me a letter of support outlining a typical day for me and what she does form. She feels awful because the things she has to mention are so demeaning.
    The physio report that I was relying on as evidence from last September has not been received by my doctors. It has got lost in the system somewhere. Having to chase that up with the dept who did the assessment and of course the person that needs to be contacted is not there today.
    Still waiting to be contacted by a charity that could give me some help with this form. May well have to ask for an extension. How amiable are the DWP at doing this?
    Need to get it in the post at the beginning of next week at the latest to take into account postage times unless I can get an extension.

Just stressing mega, want to get the application done and off and regardless of what outcome it will be done.
    I am not a person that normally stresses but this has really sent me over the top.

Biscuitgazer
    Fliss, when I made the call to ask the DWP for the PIP form, they told me to phone them if the form didn't arrive within 3 weeks. Maybe you should nudge them a bit?

Biscuitgazer
    David69, I'm not sure I agree with you about losing awards by concentrating on the problem, not the solution?

I've seen some complaints on this very forum where it's seemed to me likely (reading between the lines) that the person filled in all their solutions on the PIP form and not much about their problems, and they feel understandably upset at getting a bad result.