Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Insignia Tourer or Mondeo estate

Insignia Tourer or Mondeo estate

Stuck between the Devil and the deep Blue Sea here.
    I know the Mondeo drives the best of the two, but is it really worth an extra £1,000 of my money on the AP?

Vauxhall Insignia Tourer Auto Nav in SE spec £1,799 AP MPG 47.9
    No Fog lights and no Bluetooth, so would need to be added. No leather (Elite not available to auto users)
    but auto opening tailgate

Or
    Mondeo Estate Auto Titanium X £2,795 AP MPG 50.4
    Alcantara climate controlled seats, HID lights and bluetooth as standard, fog lights, Quickclear windscreen
    No Sat Nav (But if required, a Garmin can be bought for £100 lot less than £1,300 for Ford system!)

I know what my heart says and I also know what my credit card says!

I was holding off getting a Motability car as I was down to two for a job with car, but that west South.

Thoughts people?

I went with my heart rather than my head this time. It cost an extra £625 but I will end up with a better spec, alcantara seats and climate control and, in my view a better looking car. I did sit down with both specs line by line to see exactly what else I would get for my money.
    Yours looks a tough choice on the face of it but taking all factors into consideration the £1000 price difference comes down significantly. The Mondeo is more frugal which should save around £200-300 over 3 years and 30k miles and factoring in an extra £380 for bluetooth and fog in essence pushes the AP of the Insignia up to £2429 (includes extra £250 for fuel)
    The Insignia has Sat Nav and Auto Opening Tailgate whereas the Mondeo has Climate Alcantara Seats, Climate Control and Folding Door Mirrors. The latter two are always on my must have list and I personally prefer Alcantara to Leather. Are the Ford seats plusher than the Vauxhall?. Then it comes down to driver preference and having never driven a Mondeo I cannot comment 1st hand but every review I have read puts the Ford way ahead of the Vauxhall. I had an Insignia as a courtesy car a few years back. It drove well but did not set my pulses racing.
    Is it worth an extra few hundred for a car which I get the impression would be your choice and give greater driving pleasure? What price greater driving pleasure? I know what I would do but, of course, its your money.
    It could be helpful to look at the detailed specs of both cars, perhaps there is something on (or missing from) either car that could tip the balance?
    Good luck.
    Last edited by paul1234; 20-04-12 at 12:51.

I'd go for the Ford.

You just have to look at any car review magazine or website to see that the Mondeo is the better car, both to drive & to look at.
    It's just a better quality car.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Thanks for the responses guys.
    Still not sure what to do.
    I went into both dealers today try ing to be finance head guy :-)
    But then I sat in a Titanium S-Max......

Just felt right in all ways...BUT one £2,899 AP :-0 !

I've got to admit after test driving an SMax, I could really see me in it.

Just couldn't afford the AP on it as the dealer will only let me put £500 on a credit card - I've got to save up £1500 in 2 months!
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Quote Originally Posted by warkman View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys.
    Still not sure what to do.
    I went into both dealers today try ing to be finance head guy :-)
    But then I sat in a Titanium S-Max......

Just felt right in all ways...BUT one £2,899 AP :-0 !
    Unless you are under time pressure to order now, take some time out to think about all the options. Maybe things will crystalise in a few days. When I had the option of an SE or M Sport , being told on 31st March at midday the latter would be available available on Q2 I could not decide in a few hours but as I knew the AP of the SE was not altering took the weekend to mull over both options. The M Sport became the "right" choice on Sunday evening, after 36 hours deliberation and we ordered the following Tuesday.
    If all else fails, you could always Toss a Coin!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I've got to admit after test driving an SMax, I could really see me in it.

Just couldn't afford the AP on it as the dealer will only let me put £500 on a credit card - I've got to save up £1500 in 2 months!
    Really? Is that the norm by Ford dealers??
    I must admit that was what I was going to do, put it on the credit card......

Quote Originally Posted by warkman View Post
    Really? Is that the norm by Ford dealers??
    I must admit that was what I was going to do, put it on the credit card......
    BMW have a limit of £2k on a credit card. Would Vauxhall take it all on a card?

Quote Originally Posted by paul1234 View Post
    BMW have a limit of £2k on a credit card. Would Vauxhall take it all on a card?
    I know this sounds stupid, but I haven't even asked LOL I just assumed they would. I gather that BMW take £1,000 deposit so assumed that all would be Ok up tob the maximum AP.
    I will need to ask LOL

The question then is, do you all pay the AP from your debit /savings accounts then?
    Its never entered my mind.....

You got me think there guys.
    So I rang the Vauxhall dealer and he said, normally their is a 2% charge for using a credit card, but we would remove that and yes, you can pay the full £2,300 (extars fitted) on your credit card (plus they don't take a deposit at time of order!)

I will check Ford tomorrow.....