Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Users of Firefox browser, Important information.

Users of Firefox browser, Important information.

The Firefox web browser has issued an update today to version 52.0.

If/when you install this you may find you have problems logging in here and on other websites.

It is because they have rolled out a new feature that blocks "insecure" websites.
    (Those that start HTTP:// and not HTTPS:// )

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Prote...fox/ta-p/27861

You can still login,
    Click on the 'username' box and you will see a popup saying:
    "This connection is not secure. Logins entered here could be compromised. Learn More"

If you have saved your password to FFx in the past it will also shows your username.
    Click on your name, then in the password box, then the login button.

If you have not previously saved your name/password to FFx then ignore the warning, type your name in, type your password in the box, and then click the login button.
    You might have to try a couple of times.

If you are still having problems then switch to a different browser, eg, Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome, etc.

It seems that Mozilla have decided that they are the Internet Police, and know better than you which sites you should be able to log into.

BTW, I've done some palying about and it is not blocking all HTTP sites like it says it does.
    My councils website for one. That is still HTTP and needs 2 password for your account. No problems logging in with saved passwords there.
    It only seems to be blocking vBulletin based forums. (and Xenforo which is forum software based on VB).

Hopefully Mozilla will change this behavour quickly, or the Admin here might update this site to HTTPS.
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-03-17 at 01:10.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks nukecad. Which browser, in your opinion, is best for windows 10. I've been a ff user since it came out so I'm a bit biased/stuck in my ways. My laptop is on all day as we use ff messenger as the main form of familiy communication. Most days this works fine. Other days I have to use task master to turn ff off and back on later in the day having locked up the system. I read this may be due to the app not releasing memory back once used.

Nuke you should be a work at home as an IT technician, your knowledge is incredible!

I used Firefox up to about build 42,it often had "unintended features" with updates, most are workable but still a nuisance, especially to those who are reluctant to self administer technical solutions.
    Chrome is a ready and simple fallback,I always have it as a second option on my desktop but I much prefer the Firefox in usage.
    I use Win7Pro and will until I have no option but to adapt to 10..........and the version I use is 64 bit .More and more programs are going the 64 bit way so no harm having a 64 bit OS.
    Point being, there is a much slicker version of Firefox for 64 bit users, "Waterfox" and seems to have a more technically enhanced developer base. I have been using for a while now and a few issues, but not as many as Firefox. I deleted Firefox a few months ago and feel no need to go back.
    I still hop onto chrome now and again, and often have both browsers open at once.

I still prefer FF to any other browser.
    Despite the recent stupid update problems on the last year or so.

Internet Explorer latest versions in a pinch, but it's looking dated and is not being developed much because Edge us taking ovet from it.

Don't like Edge, it seems more geared to the 'Faceache generation' but it may get better.

Hate Chrome, once tried it, didn't like it, took 3 days to uninstall and clean up all leftovers. (And I'm not sure I got everything).
    Just the fact that it was so persistent is a no no for me.

PS. I've got my Firefox back to similar as I prefer it to work, but had to get into some settings that others may not be comfortable with.

If you need help then give me a shout.

Just updated FF to v52.0 & working flawlessly !

Always the option to roll back to a previous version of FF, but some security issues in doing that.
    Nukecad, yours is 32 bit Win I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by stree View Post
    Always the option to roll back to a previous version of FF, but some security issues in doing that.
    Nukecad, yours is 32 bit Win I assume?
    Nope- 64 bit Win 10 home, v1607, build 14393.693

I had considered rolling back, but that's just putting things off instead of sorting them out.

As I said above I have now got it back working as I want, but it did involve changing some settings that others may not be confident in doing.
    Mozilla could have made this easier to do.

OK; If you don't know then this is not going to make much sense, but for those who know what I'm talking about-

I toggled ''signon.autofillForms.http" from false to true.

I also looked at-
    "security.insecure_field_warning.contextual.enable d"
    and
    "security.insecure_password.ui.enabled".

However if I toggle these to 'false' to get rid of the warnings then forum logins are blocked altogether.
    (I suspect that this is intentional behavour- either you get the warning or the login is blocked altogether).

There are bigger (possibly more serious) issues with one particular website; but myself and the website administrator are investigating that.
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-03-17 at 22:54.

I would recommend you try "PALE MOON", I've been using it a few years now, it's Mozilla based, 64bit and I use it with either Startpage or Duck Duck Go search engines to give it a bit of added security.
    I think it's the best no nonsense browser combo out there for a windows box.

Quote Originally Posted by gus607 View Post
    Just updated FF to v52.0 & working flawlessly !
    Glad to hear that.

Problems like this will depend on just what Hardware you are using, and what Operating Sytem.

Not everybodys 'box' is the same and what affects one will work fine on others.