Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abuse of disabled parking bay

Abuse of disabled parking bay

Hi. I live on an inner city street where parking is very difficult and, as I cannot walk more than 20 metres or so, depend on my parking bay in order to go anywhere. Unfortunately the neighbours (and others) occupy the space immediately it is free. Reasoning and pleading have had no effect. Is there anything I can do to stop them?

Does it have a pole up stating its a disabled bay? If not,its not enforceable. If it does it is but it is OK for any blue badge holder to park in it. Do you have a blue badge? If so you could maybe get another disabled bay but it is for anyone with a blue badge. I just went through the process of getting one put in but am moving so cancelled it. The silly thing is they wanted a picture of my badge and my car and the v5 but it still wouldn't have been mine. Would be for anyone with a badge.

Contact your local council and ask them what their disabled bay parking policy is.
    It may be that they will pop round and issue tickets to the offenders.
    The alternative is nothing, as they may not be enforceable - just advisory.

You could see about having one of those lockable posts fitted. If it isn't a disabled space, contact the council to have it marked out as such, I had that done at my previous house, although it doesn't have any legal bearing.

You say your parking bay but you don't say disabled bay a friend of mine many years ago lived in a block and everyone was supposed to have 1 bay each but people with 2cars just parked in them and nothing could be done in the end they managed to get the council make it into a disabled parking bay only down side was anyone who had disabled visitor with blue badge used it but plus side anyone who parked there without it could have the police tow it away that only happened once as the council then sent out letter to everyone saying anyone without a bluebadge could not park there though they wouldn't put her property number on there to help, it still was better getting that done so might be something for you to look into hope you get something sorted

Thanks for kind replies but it seems there is no answer to people being difficult in this instance

Very difficult for councils to properly regulate and enforce.

Have you got a blue badge? If so you can apply for a disabled space but it is for anyone with a blue badge. It is quite easy to do.

I do have the badge and the painted bay, the problem is the council says it is only a courtesy space

If your Disabled Bay is painted out in White then it is Advisory Only and anyone can park in that space.

Disabled persons parking bays Advisory disabled persons parking bays

9. Advisory disabled persons parking bays are bays marked with white lines. They are most common in residential areas and private car parks. No penalty can be imposed on drivers of cars not displaying a Blue Badge who abuse them.

Enforceable disabled persons parking bays.

10. Enforceable disabled persons parking bays are bays marked with a yellow box. These bays are for use only by Blue Badge holders. Fines, up to a maximum of £1000, can be imposed by the police, traffic wardens and parking attendants for misuse of these bays.

11. Enforceable disabled persons parking bays are designated by Traffic Regulation Orders (TRO).The making of
    a TRO is a statutory process which begins with a public consultation period. Following this, the proposed TRO will be advertised in the local press for 21 days during which time formal objections can be raised. Any objections must be reported to and considered by the relevant local authority officials and elected members. If the TRO needs to be modified, further consultation may be needed. This process can take many months and the advertising and legal fees can be substantial. After considering any objections, authorisation can be given for the bay to be created.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe