Thread: Injection for hereditory high cholesterol

Injection for hereditory high cholesterol

Last year this injection was approved by NICE. I was told I am a prime candidate for it as I already take two types of drugs and they don't bring it down to acceptable levels. Originally mine was 22, so high the consultant said he had never met anyone with a level so high.
    I have had genetic testing as have my family and it has been proven that there is a mutated gene running through it. The only similar mutation, not the same, has been found in France, so we are unique.

Apparently, under my circumstances, diet and exercise make very little difference, although I am strict with my diet. Due to disability I now cannot exercise as I should.

I am going to the genetics clinic this afternoon to see if I can get these injections that are given either 2 weekly or monthly depending on the drug and dosage. They are given by epipen so you can do them yourself.

Think I may be wasting my time though. On research the cost is over £4000 yearly and I can't see the PCT putting up with that although it possibly would be cheaper than heart attack and stroke care both of which I have had. Several heart stentings and now possible bypass surgery which will put me right but because of the cholesterol levels will just clog up again.

Just keeping my fingers crossed as the statins I take are huge and I do have problems swallowing them.

Sorry nobody replied just wanted to wish you all the best

Blastoff, thank you.
    Just wanted to make folk aware that this injection is now available if you meet the criteria.
    I am having my drugs changed as to be eligible for the injection every drug on the market has to be tried before the injection can be prescribed.
    The good news for me though is that my cholesterol levels have dropped a little since my blood test last year.
    I have been taking statins for the last 30 odd years now and for the last 16 years I have taken another cholesterol lowering drug as well. The second one is very expensive and only given when statins don't work on their own or statins are not tolerated.

Hi

How did your injections go I don't know much info on your problems but I hope they keep giving you them

Didn't have the injection, I have to try the other available first, gradually increasing the dose. May well be a year before I can have it.

That's not so good, hope things go good for you

Beth

Already have heart problems from that condition and can only expect them to get worse. Hopefully, after going through the ritual of other drugs I will be able to have it. My cholesterol is very unstable.

If you feel upset or have questions about your future on these medications maybe talk to your GP to assure you, there's nothing worse than being on lots of pills or trial drugs! Do you suffer side affects from the medication you take ?

I accept I have to take numerous medications, have been on some for about 30 years and the rest for 16 years. Without them I wouldn't be alive, hence taking them doesn't bother me.