Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lib Dems show their real side!

Lib Dems show their real side!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...avey-aide.html

Cap maternity pay and cut back on free bus passes, TV licences for OAPs, says Ed Davey aide

Chris Nicholson, a special adviser to Climate Change secretary Ed Davey, also said that the Winter Fuel Allowance should be taken away from those aged between 60 and 65. The plans could save £1.4billion a year, he said.

Mr Nicholson added that disabled people should wait longer for a new car under the Motability Scheme. The billions of pound saved should be re-invested in getting young people back into work.

Writing on the Conservativehome.com website, Mr Nicholson complained that “much of our tax and welfare system favours the old at the expense of the young. It is time we redressed the balance”.

He said: “It makes no sense that winter fuel allowances and free bus travel start at age 60. They should be raised immediately to 65 and then rise in line with the state retirement age.

“These benefits and free TV licences for the over 75s should be strictly means tested and should not be available for those pensioners who receive enough income to pay tax .

“Latest DWP figures show that around half of all pensioners receive in excess of the income tax threshold.

“By restricting the winter fuel allowance, free bus travel and free TV licences to those below the threshold, a saving to the Exchequer of around £1.4 billion per annum could be generated.”

At the time of the remarks, Mr Nicholson ran the Lib Dem thinktank CentreForum. He was also the Lib Dem Parlimentary candidate for Streatham, Clapham and Brixton at the last election.

Its website boasts an endorsement from Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg on its front page: "CentreForum is a think tank that has become ever more important over the past few years."

Mr Nicholson said disabled people who lease cars through the Motability scheme should get a new vehicle very six years, rather than every three years, saving over £500million.

I agree on some of it, such are means testing (Fair means testing of course). I also feel if someone does have income that is higher than a certainlevel then other benefits should be reduced or stopped.

On the car, I think it is simple. A new car when needed, I have never understood why it should be every 3 years, such an abritoory date.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

I knew it wouldnt be long till this Government would start targeting old people, not content with disabled people being targeted, they now have a new target to aim at.

Regarding his 6 year Motability idea, it wont save money as people will still get DLA, regardless if they have a car or not. He seems to have forgot that.

I'm totally ashamed to admit that I voted Lib Dem at the election & to be fair our Lib Dem MP does a good job for his local area BUT I will never vote for them again, anyone but the ConDems.

I always thought that the amount paid for a Mobility car does not cover the costs of the car, admin, etc. Am I wrong?
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    I always thought that the amount paid for a Mobility car does not cover the costs of the car, admin, etc. Am I wrong?
    I think it does.
    They get a preferential price for the car from the manufacturrer, then they work out how much the car is worth after 3 years 60K 9And of course many users dont get near that)
    They have an agreement with companies for servicing, tyres and exhausts
    And they have an insurance that is company based not individual based.
    The difference between the cars and its costs and their residual value is your Advanced payment
    They don't pay VAT on the cars so if you add goods then this is extra money at the end when disposing of the car

That money is then reinvested into the Motability scheme to pay the added costs of WAV vheicles for example as they are less easy to get rid of.

Makes sense. I have never thought of the specifics of it though, so.....
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

A six year lease would be impractical for Motability. Not only would the car have less value after six years, it would need 4 MOT's which would raise the cost of the scheme. Also, if repairs were needed after the MOT, that would be expensive for Motability to pay. Cars would also come back with higher milage, making it harder to sell specific cars ie autos. A 4 year lease might be possible but at the end of the day, it is up to Motabiity to decide, not the Government.

That makes sense of course, & a good point. Looks like, as ever, the government has just jumped in without checking the facts. Of course, I do not know them all, but I am not trying to change the system. If they do this I bet it will involve brining in some company to oversee it, & will cost even more, as it always does.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    That makes sense of course, & a good point. Looks like, as ever, the government has just jumped in without checking the facts. Of course, I do not know them all, but I am not trying to change the system. If they do this I bet it will involve brining in some company to oversee it, & will cost even more, as it always does.
    Unless the Government know something we don't. I can see Motabiity changing hugely when PIP starts nationally in 2014, I suppose it is a case of wait and see.