Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am to go blind-official

I am to go blind-official

Well, I went back to see my optician today, after the new glasses I got two weeks ago failed me. After a lot of testing, questions, discussions, consulting with others, & more testing it was decided there is nothing they can do for me. I have known this all my life. I got my first pair of glasses at 11 months. Had operations in my eyes as a child. Was blind, then I could see. Could see, then I could not see. I do not use my left eye as it is useless. They have always tried to be optimistic with me over it, telling me advances in eye surgery or optical lenses could assist me as I got older.

Today was the day when they had to final admit that medical advances cannot keep up with the degradation of my eyes. The best I can hope for right now it to either wear my current glasses, which are three tests out of date, or newer glasses which I cannot focus with to see anything. Which make me dizzy & risk bringing on a Ménière's Disease attack, which I cannot risk happening. My eyes will continue to get worse which will mean the obvious. This is not new to me, I know the situation & have been ready for it all my life. Attempts to restore my eyesight fully failed, but I was able to see a considerable amount with glasses.

I cannot say when I will reach the day when I will be officially blind, in some ways I am that without glasses. Life is always a waiting game.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

My thoughts are with you Stephen
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

TY Paul. It was never real in a way. I knew it was going to happen, but I suppose I hoped I was overreacting.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Hi Stephen, we all have different impairments and different strategies to deal with them. And as such we all face disabling barriers that can prevent us from integrating into society.

I know that you are a great believer in the social model of disability. We may have impairments that will never get better. But turn things on their head Stephen, look at things from a different angle.

You are a 'professional' when it comes to representing people who are going blind and have visual impairments.

You can help other disabled people like yourself and highlight the barriers you face in the City of Leeds - you are the 'professional' on sight issues and can help society understand what it needs to do to remove this disabling barrier by campaigning for the right for
    - information in the format of your choice eg on tape, MP3, Braille
    - the right to pelican crossings where audible sounds tell you when it's safe to cross
    - more textured dropped kerbs on pavement crossings
    - audio descriptions at bus stops
    - audio descriptions inside museums
    - get on a scutiny panel to check if the council deliver fair services and if they don't be angry and campaign democratically

Call this a New chapter in your life, a new beginning, a new adventure.

Join your local Access group. You have life experiences that could aid them when carrying out 'Access Audits' of the built environment or Council Services.

Get Involved. Turn a negative into a positive. Don't sit on it act now!

Yeah, I know what you mean. You can hear it ticking away so you cannot ignore it, but you try to get on with your life & hope. That is all we can do, just live & hope. TY Mud.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

So sorry to hear that, life can be a cruel at times. I agree with MUD, lets hope you have a lot more years eyesight left and take Care.

TY Shy. Well I am 45 & can sort of see, so.....
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

sorry to hear that and I know it is easy to say, but keep your pecker up

Sp sorry to hear that Stephen.
    I have had operations on my eyes to seal leaking blood vessels which has damaged the ability of one of my eyes to see properly, but at this moment, the other eye is assisting it.

But it is the thing that scares me the most with my personal problems that the Macular degeneration will get worse.

Thoughts are with you

TY Richard & Walkman.

I do not use my left eye Walkman, so I can understand. I also know what operations on the eyes are like, I hated it. It is a bitter waiting game I think.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen