Thread: Naproxen - what can I do?

Naproxen - what can I do?

I'll try to keep this brief. I take the max dose of Naproxen each day along with max dose pregabalin, paracetamol/codeine 500/30 2x tabs 4 times a day, fentanyl patch 12.5mcg and oramorph as and when for acute injuries.

I recently changed my fentanyl patch down from 25mcg and 2 yrs ago I was on 37mcg. Ive been through withdrawal twice to come down and it's not something I relish. I've done it because the side effects of fentanyl have had such an impact that I'm struggling to work on it.

My pain levels have obviously increased and since the recent change down, I don't think it's sustainable. I'm stuggling with the pain.

My doctor today has said he doesn't want me taking Naproxen anymore due to gastric bleeding risks. I agree the risks are high, he is right. But what the bloody hell do I do now? He is saying to simply increase fentanyl again. But I've gone through so much to come down a level, and am barely coping. If I go back up then I still have the side effect issues that affect work. I've lost 3 jobs because of side effects and/or my health so I really need my medication to be supporting me, not hindering my work. I don't have a job right now but am interviewing. I need to be fit enough to start work again within the next 2 weeks. Any suggestions?

Went through the same myself, however ended up with the serious gastric problems prior to being taken of Naproxen. Had the bleeding, as well as ulcers, thus now not able to take anti-inflammatory medication. Been on very high doses of allsorts including morphine. You have probably gone through all the variations of pain medication, but if you have not/or not been to a pain clinic, you could ask your GP for a referral.

Another possible course of action is asking to see Occupational Health, at your local hospital, sometimes they can suggest, and at times suggest aids which will help you with some tasks. I have multiple problems associated with osteoarthritis, spinal injuries, well plenty of others. Saw OH, they had some better examples of aids I already had, also some courses or assessments that could potentially help, sometimes in my case even the slightest improvement in being able to do something is a great pick me up. Some did, some not so much and parts made me worse so rejected, but I did not know till I tried, not easy when there are days you cannot get out of house.

Thanks Mz. I'm waiting for the Pain Clinic as was under them but got lost in the system. I ve been re referred now. I've tried quite a few different things, including coming off Naproxen before. That's why I'm scared. It's more pain at just the wrong time. I've had OH too that was in getting me a wheelchair but then I lost my job because they would not let me use it. I need to be in work so trying to apply for some jobs with prior knowledge of disability and some where I am not telling them. I may end up not being able to use it still, but getting in to a wheelchair was supposed to help me reduce pain meds. This is why I'm so frustrated, I can't get pain meds right to support me at work, but don't want to accept that I can no longer work.

Pain, mobility and other things do become very frustrating. I have lost two jobs due to physical disabilities etc. that I have, now not able to work. But got fingers crossed, well would have if could, for you that you get a positive outcome. I have found using wheelchair, to help me get around better, though not always reducing pain greatly, does give me energy, that otherwise would not have.
    Do not know about others, but I find using a decent pair of gloves helps propelling the chair, as 'rim' on mine is aluminium and hand slips quite a bit. With gloves, less frustrating, fought using it for long time, but made big difference.

You should be taking Lansoprazole to protect your stomach whilst taking the Naproxen.

Thanks. I have been prescribed Omeprizole now and have had the gastro resistant Naproxen all this time.

Mz - thankfully I have an electric wheelchair! No way I can self propel! My shoulders would dislocate for sure!