Thread: Change of Circumstances

Change of Circumstances

I have requested a change of circumstances form from the DWP for DLA. I get HRM and LRC. My care issues have not changed (mainly problems with my hands) but my mobility issues have now changed - it has been gradual but it's time to inform the DWP now we're there!

I'll certainly loose my HRM, and I don't think I'll get LRM - I still have some problems walking, pain after quite a while, walk with a limp, occasionally trip - but don't necessarily need someone with me.

Can I just write and relinquish my M component? My care needs are the same - can't easily cut or peel veg etc so I meet the 'cook a main meal' criteria. I REALLY don't want to have to fill in a whole form again and wait 11 weeks and maybe even risk LRC (I'm sure we all know people this has happened to for seemingly no reason).

Is it possible just to write stating that I relinquish my mobility component?

Did you do this? If not, I would give them a call and see what they say.

You don't have to have some-one with you to get DLA. I notice you still have some problems with walking,you have to consider at what point do you start having problems ie how far can you walk before you have pain or severe discomfort,do you have to rest for a while could you start walking after a rest or is that out of the question for a good few hours.Do you trip on a daily basis?

Iam glad your mobility problems are getting better but think carefully before you contact the DWP.

if you do this then they could look at the whole claim or just part of the claim, it could also lead to them reducing your benefit to zero so be careful especially if you report an improvement.

If your mobility is much better, then write and tell DLA. they may send a form to be completed for both parts of the DLA, or they may just check with your GP. It sounds like you will keep the low care rate though.

I didn't quite do this - I decided after consideration that I wanted to come off DLA altogether.

I wrote to them about this three weeks ago, been told it is 'on the section' and I should hear a decision within four weeks.

Don't quite understand what takes so long, or why there needs to be a 'decision' but I hope they get on with it. I don't feel entitled anymore and it's making me a little anxious that I'm still technically claiming.

Has anyone every relinquished benefit before or had experience of someone who did? What happens now?

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by DCTD View Post
    I didn't quite do this - I decided after consideration that I wanted to come off DLA altogether.

I wrote to them about this three weeks ago, been told it is 'on the section' and I should hear a decision within four weeks.

Don't quite understand what takes so long, or why there needs to be a 'decision' but I hope they get on with it. I don't feel entitled anymore and it's making me a little anxious that I'm still technically claiming.

Has anyone every relinquished benefit before or had experience of someone who did? What happens now?
    the award was made because you passed the regulations so they cant just stop payments paperwork needs to be done

You know, sometimes it is harder to stop claiming it than it is to claim. Do not feel you are getting something you should not be. You have informed them, they are looking into it. You have the right to it until they stop it. If you still feel that any money you have from them you should not have, you may want to consider donating it to a charity related to your condition. That would solve your feelings you should not have that money.

To me, it seems you do still need some care, some assistance. This could suggest you should get LRC at least, perhaps. So I would suggest you consider this. If you have needs then you are entitled. I feel, from what you have said, you are being too honest & unfair on yourself.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

That's a good idea, though atm I have put it to one side in case it should be seen as an overpayment and I need to give it back.

I really just want to stop claiming, I'm much more confident and no longer suffering with the depression that I have had for many years because I was so down about being disabled. Yeah, I find a few things a bit trickier than other people, but I don't identify with the idea of being disabled the way I used to.

I want to be off the benefit and I hope they 'allow' me to relinquish it. Right now it feels like a cloud hanging over me and stopping me moving on and enjoying my new, less painful, more active life.

I am pleased for you. This is a huge thing, & rare for anyone to actually find they no longer need it. You have to do what you feel is right. I would assume the claim would stop from either the day you informed them or the day they decide to stop the claim.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen