Thread: When to notify council of change of address and council for HB/CB?

When to notify council of change of address and council for HB/CB?

I'll be moving soon, as my current property is no longer suitable due to my health issues and hasnt been for a while.
    I'm due to get the keys for the new property on the 20th February and I have to hand the keys in for my current property the Monday after. So there's a week overlap, of which I want my housing benefit to cover my current property.
    My issue being, when do I enter a claim for housing benefit at my new property if I want housing benefit to continue at my current property until Sunday 26th midnight and start at the new property 27th.
    Then on a similar note, to align with these dates, when do I need to tell the DWP I've moved/am moving?
    My initial thought was to ring the DWP on the 27th and inform them/get a form if they still do that and hand in my housing benefit claim form on the 27th and have it dated that day.
    But now I'm worrying that thatd be the wrong way to do it, or there could be a better way, or, or, well you get the jist. Havent moved in years so there's lots of things to think about, remember to do, etc.
    Also no idea if it makes a difference but, it will be to a different county, only the next county over where my mother now lives.

Oh and I got a letter today telling me I've got a medical I have to attend on the 28th (Am already in wrag, its a reassessment medical). So dont know if this is going to be an issue/something I need to take into consideration when changing address. I think it's the same medical centre that does the assessments for both addresses.

As regards your accommodation.

Did you know that you can receive HB for two properties if there was a good reason for the overlap?

See here:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi..._for_two_homes

You would need to contact your local council where you live now to explain and tell them that you are moving to a new county. They should talk you through what you have to do.

When does your tenancy end on your current home? When does your tenancy begin on your new home? It would be ideal if you can get HB for the overlap if this was a necessity on your part.

So, ring your local council now and discuss because you will have to start a claim with the new local authority if it is different to where you currently live.

As regards the assessment you need to let them know your change of address - sooner than later.

Do remember to get your mail redirected just in case the various departments 'mess up'!

Plus, if there are any other benefits that you claim be sure to let them know of the change of address.

Hi sadgirl, we had to go through this exact scenario when moving my Mother, due to health conditions. It is strictly a change of circumstances, this being your are changing addresses! Sounds simpler putting it this way. However, we located my Mothers HB office which was actually dealt with at the local library-it may well be ths can be dealt with through same channels.

We explained all to the staff there and they took us through everything that was needed. Took 2, possibly 3 visits to clarify everything, but all went smoothly. If you are staying within same LA, you shouldn't have to reapply for HB etc. As mentioned, my Mothers was dealt with by way of change of circumstances. The staff at HB office or staff at the library dealing with same, should be able to assist. hope it all goes smoothly.

Hi when i moved from my council place to another one because of health grounds they moved me to a place that was on disabled register there was a 2week overlap because moving with same council i didn't have to do anything i did have to pay full rent on my old property though but since was in so much credit it covered that. That was 5years ago so things might be different now but they told me the hb ended from when i signed for the new property. Ring hb and ask them what the procedure is, think works differently if housing association and private but check with them and if unsure maybe ask cab

Thanks for all the replies. Gave the DWP a call and theyve told me to ring back after I've moved, so I'll just give them a call on the 27th. Have rung and let my local council know, and the new council have told me I can submit a claim online.