Thread: Question 14 Moving Around - As often as is reasonably required?

Question Question 14 Moving Around - As often as is reasonably required?

Hello, new to filling in a PIP form and overwhelmed a bit

I have quite bad arthritis in my hips which has worsened of late, hence my applying for first time, and have pain most of the time from the first step, I limp all the time.

I cannot work out what it means when considering walking 20-50 metres, how often you'd be required to do that in their eyes.

For me, even with considerable worsening pain Id need to walk more than that one stint distance or there'd be no point in having a disabled parking place in the first place.

That distance wouldn't even get me into the store, I'd need to do it again after pausing a while to get to at least the fruit and veg in the supermarket .

Any insight?
    How often do they say is reasonably required to repeat a stint of 20-50m?

I'm thinking about not bothering with this whole thing to be honest as it all seems impossible to be awarded.

sorry for whining

I'm still struggling with this.
    Does anyone have any insight at all?

Boy, these forms are horrible!!

I've sent pip form back recently going over from dla, i have a lot of medical problems and have pain all the time like you said you have as well, i only go out twice a week and thought how far could i go before needing to sit down thats how i answered it and i then added notes explaining the situation. However if you can get to a cab office i'd go there if you've never done this before, you need to make sure you have a letter from your doc explaining how bad you are now and any copies of xrays or scans that say what type of arthritis you have and any other probs in the joint as well. Like i say go to cab to help you feel form in you might as well worse would be you get nothing goodluck with it.

If you scroll down to about p6 here there are some examples that might help

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...5844/admp2.pdf
    Last edited by catlover; 02-02-17 at 19:09.

Thanks for these replies. Looking at the link now.
    About going to CAB, I'm wondering whether to bother applying - I have a consultants letter with results of my Xray, but no copy of xray, I have my GPs full support verbally in making this application but no letter from him saying what I can and can't do. Surely he only sees what I'm like hobbling in to his room anyway.

Just a few pointers for you, but I can’t be specific; as only you know the extent of your disabilities.

You mention 20-50 metres. Why? Can you do this safely and reliably and repeatedly? If not, tick the next box down if you can only do that. (Repeatedly is more than 50% of the time.)

You need to write an essay of ‘how your condition affects you’. You undoubtedly won’t fit it all in the box, so continue on the extra page, or on another continuation sheet. (Don’t forget to put your name and NI No. on it.)

Mention your:-
    Arthritis in my hips
    have pain most of the time from the first step.
    I limp all the time.
    …and everything else that affects you. Think carefully. Think about how others you know manage to cope. How would they describe their condition? Think about all situations.

Before you write it on the form, do it on your computer, then amend it as you go.

Also, when you write everything down, consider how a newspaper reporter would ‘report the incident’.
    How… walking, stability, falling (or fear of), distance, pain, in/out of car, shops, home.
    Why… Arthritis, anything else
    Where... knees? Hips? Anywhere else?
    When... did arthritis start, worsen
    Who... Doctor, consultant, OT – who’s involved. Provide evidence.

And any aids or assistance you need to assist/ provide safety, and/or prevent injury.

Have a think, and come back to us.
    Good luck.

Thank you Adexico.
    That was very helpful and pretty much what I ended up doing on the form. I wrote a rather large essay I'm afraid.
    I'm not comfy with any exaggeration as I would be stressed about potential fraud so I just told the truth . Posted now. All in their hands.

Also, the walking needs to be achieved without pain as well, as far as I recall? If you're walking and you're in constant discomfort/ pain, then you can't walk over 20 metres.

Thanks Cookmysock (fab name by the way! ) I genuinely AM in pain from first step which gets worse as I move.
    Oh I do wish there was some machine that could measure pain!