Thread: Bleed your radiators to maximise heat

Bleed your radiators to maximise heat

It's very bitter in Manchester with temperatures below freezing.

Now I have free smart metres from Eon I can track my daily, weekly and monthly spend on gas and electricity.

My electric bills are minimal as I use low energy LED lightbulbs but I have noticed my gas bill is climbing and it isn't really that warm in my home.

The Government advice you to buy a more efficient boiler, double glazing, draft-proofing, loft insulation, cavity wall insulation, turn your room thermosat down 1C, adjust each radiator thermostat to adjust the heating in each room . . .
    yeah yeah done all that but there's something else you can done for a few quid - buy a radiator key to release air built up inside your radiator. So if the tops of your water filled radiators feel cool - they need to be bleed - a 20 second job then you'll be roasting!

Good advice, a few others. Check the pressure of your boiler as they do tend to drop which will cause a temperture drop in the rads furthest away from the boiler.
    And the most important one 'flush out your heating system' especially if it's Over 10 years old.
    Both can be done with basic DIY skills and YouTube lol

If your radiators need bleeding every year (or even more often) then it's a sign that is something not quite right with the heating system.

There must be air getting in somewhere, which usually means water is getting out somewhere.
    You may not otherwise notice this very small leak, because it's hot water and will probably evaporate before you notice it.

Very hard to track down just which joint is leaking, but if one particular radiator keeps filling with air and needing bleeding then it's a good pointer to where the leak is.

Where I rented before I had to bleed the radiator every month, where I live now they have all been fine for 7 years.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

also shut that door! And wear more layers. I'm not kidding. Sitting her with thermals on and will put 2 more layers IF I go out.

In August I had a radiator removed and replaced. I think the plumber didn't vent the air locked in 3 radiators as they weren't in use at the time.

One radiator was just full of air. As it was being bled you could feel the heat rising in the radiator.

All very cosy now!

Also if you don't have radiator thermostatic valves reduce the flow of hot water or turn off completely radiators in empty or little used rooms etc. This is called radiator balancing & will save quite a bit of cash.
    Had a hot bath ? Leave the water in the bath to cool & benefit from the heat from the water, drain when cool.
    Making a hot drink ? Only put enough water in the kettle that you need, not a full kettle, like my wife does!

I bought a one cup boiler. Regardless of how much is in the tank it only heats and dispenses the required amount. Kettles always have a minimum so you are heating extra water every time you switch it on.

Two mugs in our house just reaches the minimum line on the jug kettle !

Put the water in a cup and microwave it, then add your tea bag or coffee, that way you are heating only the water you use.

Or do similar and measure your cupful into an otherwise empty kettle or suacepan.

Might sound a bit miserly, but all those exta half-cups you are heating add up to gallons of wasted hot water over time.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Put the water in a cup and microwave it, then add your tea bag or coffee, that way you are heating only the water you use.

Or do similar and measure your cupful into an otherwise empty kettle or suacepan.

Might sound a bit miserly, but all those exta half-cups you are heating add up to gallons of wasted hot water over time.
    That is mainly why I bought one of those one cup machines plus the fact my coordination isn't good and I often missed the mug and poured boiling water over my hand if I hadn't moved it away, if I had moved it then I had a flood to mop up. With the one cup you just put the mug under the spout, much less dangerous as well as cost effective.