Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preparing meals using a microwave

Preparing meals using a microwave

I just came across some interesting links on a property rental forum.

Apparently Frank Field MP is pushing for all Landlords (including social housing) to have to provide Cookers, Fridges, etc. instead of just a microwave oven.
    http://frankfield.co.uk/latest-news/...aspx?p=1021354
    Frank says: ‘For some families, regardless of whether they rent privately or through a housing association, the only cooking facility available at home is a microwave. It is nigh on impossible to feed a hungry family in those circumstances. My bill therefore seeks to equip every household in the country with the basic equipment they need to prepare meals.’
    And there is actually a Private Members Bill going through Parliament to try and make this law.
    http://services.parliament.uk/bills/...ngbenefit.html

So if this is brought in then does it mean that the PIP descriptors/scores about using a microwave for preparing food may need to change?

If it's not acceptable for a family on Universal Credit or Housing Benefit then how can it be acceptable for a disabled person?
    Last edited by nukecad; 23-01-17 at 17:45.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

There is no way one can prepare a nourishing and healthy meal in a microwave alone. I hope the legislation gets passed.

And yet many elderly, cuz of cuts in social care (including my own mum) are stuck doing exactly that. No longer able to cope, you get a carer comong in for 30 mins, heat the microwave meal, dish it up, help feed the person and boom. On to the next person...

Hi all,

I might be wrong but I seem to remember when claiming PIP that preparing meals means from FRESH ingredients not frozen or tinned and would consist of more than two ingredients, so beans on toast or a tin of soup doesn't count neither would any other prepared food like instant mashed potatoes or two minute rice as they're not FRESH.

As far a giving tenants equipment to store or cook food? I thought that would only apply to tenants in furnished accommodation. Furthermore I've never heard of any social housing tenant being provided with a microwave.

And as we know food banks had food returned as users couldn't afford to run cookers to cook on. So how about providing the financial means instead of removing those! No point having a cooker you can't afford to run! Acquiring a cooker isn't the problem.

There's the 'Meals on Wheels' service subsidised by local authorities if you're not happy with microwave meals.

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisD; 25-01-17 at 11:06.

In a great deal of boroughs,meals on wheels has been scrapped

Meals on wheels do not provide healthy meals anyway. Although I am the one who is actually disabled in our house, my husband had a heart attack and triple bypass last summer and has been told what he can and can't eat now and also that meals on wheels and most prepacked meals are far too high in salt and sugar for him so he's not supposed to have them. I have trouble with arthritis in my hands and also uncontrolled epilepsy but I have to do my best to cook fresh recipes for him with a little help from him when chopping veg and also lifting hot pans. We should all be able access freshly cooked food most of the time so the law is a good one in my opinion.

You actually do a lot from scratch with a microwave. For instance fresh salmon (90 seconds) and vegetables can be bought pre-cut and GREEN veg - broccoli, frozen peas, pak choi, can all be microwaved. Root veg I'd still boil. - carrots, spuds, parsnip.
    Two minute rice - nothing wrong with it.
    You are right about the additives in ready meals tho. My partner "mostly" avoids them cuz of kidney disease and a need to avoid salt & preservatives. However you have to become a "label reader" M & S and Tesco and others do a healthy range, with less salt and less fat. Worth reading the labels first of course

Having thought further on this topic, I've got some additional thoughts to add.

Frank Fields ideas are coming from a good but somewhat naïve place, but I've thought of numerous ways that this policy could be exploited, and I wonder where the money to finance it would come from? The councils don't have any money anymore. Hasn't spending on low income households been demonised by the media? Would this just add more fuel to the fire? Is Mr Fields unaware of furniture projects that sell cookers and fridges at reduced cost to low income people? What about free-cycle?

The cynic in me thinks this type of policy will only be used later by others to justify further welfare reform.

How many of us have second hand white goods and furniture? I have several.

When I first moved into my council flat 30 years ago I had a bed, a fifteen year old dining table and chairs, a 35 year old chest of drawers and an old two ringed electric cooker with only one working ring! (Couldn't tell you how old it was) We lived on tinned food for a few weeks until we bought a second hand fridge and waited months to save enough for a proper cooker! And no we didn't have other priorities at the time we expected to go without for a while. Why? No bl**dy money.

[QUOTE=reddivine;119817]You actually do a lot from scratch with a microwave. For instance fresh salmon (90 seconds) and vegetables can be bought pre

I've only ever used the microwave oven for warming up meals made earlier or tins of soup though I do use the 2 min rice, as you say, nothing wrong with that. I know you can get ready prepared veg that's fresh, just that I have to go for the cheap option most times. Wish my husband would eat fresh salmon, he won't touch it. Won't touch yogurt either or pineapple. He's just eaten a chilli made with quorn mince and loads of veg and some tinned beans, no salt or sugar added, just loads of herbs and flavourings that have been given the ok. He had an egg custard I'd made for afters made with skimmed milk and artificial sweetener, nice cos I had some. Amazing how you can adapt food if you try. Yes, I always read the labels too on tinned products and breakfast cereals and on the few ready meals I do get for him. I like the traffic light system, Asda do that too and so do a lot of brands.