Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold calls on the phone

Depends what mood I am in when I receive one of these calls. Typically, it will be something along the lines of "are you happy that you boss is asking you to break the law?", but sometimes it is a blunt "I don't talk to liars and criminals". I have an air horn on my bike, and if I have time, I ask then to hold on a minute whilst I "go somewhere quieter to take the call", then go to my shed and give them a blast.

The most annoying one recently is when they have a very non-UK accent, but give you a UK sounding name (how many people in Mumbai are called something like "Robert Johnson"?). They usually claim to be from either Microsoft or a telephone company, and want to tell me that my PC has been hacked and is passing out spam messages.

Quote Originally Posted by keithl View Post
    They usually claim to be from either Microsoft or a telephone company, and want to tell me that my PC has been hacked and is passing out spam messages.
    NEVER, ever, give these scammers remote access to you computer while they 'do a technical check' or similar.
    NEVER, ever download and install anything that they ask you to.
    They will try and intimidate you to do one of these if you keep talking to them.

Doing what they say will install software that takes over your computer.

No reputable company will ever ask for remote access to your computer, or tell you to download anything, unless you have contacted them first with a serious computer problem.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Yes,some are scammers
    But some are just people trying to earn an honest wage,and I don't know why you would want to be rude and question their intellect
    For myself,I worked in telesales,cold calling when my children were at school,as the hours suited( 10-2)

If when I pick the phone up no one speaks for a split second I say either "you are through to Retford police station or TBF solicitors which has closed down.The phone soon goes dead.

I'm just in the process of clawing back nearly £400 for my mum due to nuisance phone calls.

Despite the fact that her phone is covered by the Telephone Preference Service my mum must have agreed to speak to a 'nice man over the phone who was from 'ProductGuard'. They persuaded her that she needed insurance to protect household individual goods.

Initially she paid £99 then another £99 on 5 Jan 2017 and £169 a week later - she was worried and coughed up over the phone.

Luckily they will reimburse the full amount as she doesn't need it. I guess that they are worried in case I report them to the Ombudsman and perhaps receive a fine for mis-selling to vulnerable people!
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 17-01-17 at 15:40.

About your recent recent accident 'yes a ufo landed on the roof of my car while driving down the motorway'....
    About your claim for ppi 'yes would that be for the loan of £666,000,000 from Coutts bank'...
    About your phone upgrade 'I don't have or use a phone, this call is not really happening, your imagining that this call is happening but it's all in your head as I'm not real and your not real'...
    For some reason they keep hanging up on me \0/

Of course you've all seen this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38635921

Their new, Free, 'Call Protect' system should help with your landlines.
    http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech...11364136279348

Guess that will just mean more junk calls to mobiles though.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I just signed up for BT callprotect.... very simple, and free......get scam call, hang up phone, dial 1572 and select to blacklist the number.. done.

Calls from the ministry of justice! I ask them where they are calling from, obviously not the moj, no, no no, where are you physically calling from. I then ask about their weather as we brits are infatuated with weather! It's quite warm in Pakistan and India btw. Polite? Yes but they ring off quickly.

My mother was being plagued by cold calls she was getting dozens of calls a day sometimes and it was driving her (and me) mad. The majority of calls were, I think, computer generated which are used to discover if there is a real person on the end of the call. Mum is registered with TPS but that didn't stop them and I think the majority of calls were from overseas. In the end I got a call blocker for her which did the trick. Mum's phone is part of a package with Virgin and they could only offer a limited service (10 numbers I think). The call blocker was simple to install and a doddle for mum to use. This is the device:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/CPR-Call-Bl...s=call+blocker
    Caring is an art not a science